Gossamer vest/scarf FG 22

Did anyone ever make gauge using the recommended yarn for this pattern? I constantly knitted 11 stitches per inch using either a 7, 5, or 4 needle w either metal or bamboo needle. Of course, it was difficult to see stitches because of the lovely yarn. So I made the largest size with the amount of yarn I bought. That kidsilk is lovely. I looked for any errata on the pattern and couldn’t find any. I would really, really like to know if 17 stitches to the inch is possible using a size 7 needle. Thank you so much.

1 Like

I have two questions. First, are you measuring “per 4 inches" and not “per inch” and second, have you been blocking your swatches. Let’s start there and we’ll try to figure this out.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick response. I did knit a swatch about 8 inches long by 7 inches tall using different needles made of metal or bamboo. I also measured 4 inches and tried to count the stitches. What I didn’t do was block it. Darn, I know better. I frogged the whole thing yesterday and decided to make the largest size for the amount of yarn I bought. But, I’d really like to know how to count those stitches w that yarn. I held it up to the window, laid it on white paper, counted the stitches resting on the needle. Just couldn’t identify them. I kept getting too few stitches. I bet you are going to tell me that after blocking, all will work out. Again thank you for your response and reminding me to block.

2 Likes

First of all, I’m sure your Gossamer is going to be gorgeous. It’s basically a big swath of softness and I hope you love it! The upside of KidSilk Haze is that it is a wonderful gauge shifter. Unfortunately, that is also the downside.

Even though it’s not lace, I would treat it the way I treat lace. I would start out by NOT doing a “hard” block. I would just lay it out flat as it is. No pushing. No prodding. No pins. Maybe a gentle patting to make it flat. Then hit it with some steam. Hold your steam iron over it (not on it) and hover over the fabric while bursting steam. Let dry, and then (and this is what really helps me) put a ruler on it and take a picture. I find that if I take a picture (especially with a flash) I can see the stitches more clearly to count. It can also be harder to count stitches when you’re holding yarn double so the photo just makes it all sharper.

Now you can make some decisions. KSH is pretty maleable so ask youself if you like the way the fabric looks. If you do, and you’re hitting guage, then you’re done. You can also get incrementally more aggressive with your blocking. Push it and stretch it (pin it if you need to). Once you like the fabric, measure it again.

I suppose my point is get a fabric that you like with it blocked to your taste, and then adjust the needle size up or down to get that to gauge in the way they you plan to finish the item - not in what it looks like unfinished. When you’re all done with the project, just block the finished piece to the measurements on the schematic.

Hope this helps and happy kniting!

5 Likes