Color Explosion Throw - Question from a Beginner

Hi all, Although I’ve been knitting for years, I still consider myself a beginner. I just started the color explosion throw and this is my first time using the marling technique. I’ve only knitted projects with just 2 colors of yarn. On a color change, I see that the pattern calls for knitting the 1st 6 stitches with 3 strands of yarn and then dropping off the retiring colors. Should I do this or would it just be ok to drop off the retiring color when the pattern calls for it rather than 6 stitches in? Thanks in advance and wish me luck!

2 Likes

Good luck. Either will work but the “knit 6 stitches with all strands” helps limit ends to be weaved in.

1 Like

Good luck, Madd. I haven’t started blocking yet, but I think it’s a smart idea to hold onto all three yarns for six stitches, block, then clip the one piece of yarn that was dropped. Be careful to make sure you’ve got the right yarn. I cut the wrong one ( in too big a hurry) and had to add it back on.
I’m also suggesting the use the Russian join when you come to the end of a skein and are adding another one. The two threads and this marvelous yarn make it easy to seamless join two yarns together. You tube will tell you how.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Sadly, the Russian join seems out of my area of expertise. I guess I will just take my chances joining the new yarns as I have. My only concern is that my stitches on the ends are always very loose. Here’s hoping!

1 Like

It’s become my favorite join. But you have to have the right equipment. A sewing needle with a very large eye. But, it’s not for everyone, I know. I had to watch You Tube instructions several times. Good luck on your throw. I am in love with the pattern.

1 Like

If you leave 6" tails from the old and new color - and then after knitting 3 stitches, tie the 2 ends into a firm bow that should help with the loosening stitches.

3 Likes

Help! I think I’ve messed up. I’m on the 1st strip, just completed row 36 am restarting with Row 1/Marl 3 now using colors A and J. My question is why does Marl 4 start with two new colors (BE). I thought one color was always dropped and new color was added rather than adding 2 new colors. Am I following the pattern wrong?

1 Like

I’m thinking it’s a type and Marl 3 should be colors B&J rather than A&J and then Marl 4 would be colors B&E.

3 Likes

I can’t speak to this situation exactly, but I know there are errata if you go to the Ravelry page it will have the link I think. That said, in this pattern, I’m not sure it will be a big deal whichever you choose.

Thank you. I found the correction. While I didn’t have the colors right, I am proud of myself for figuring out that there was an error. Thanks for your help.

3 Likes