Giftalong 2019: TEAM SOCKS

Kermit sends greetings and admiration for Caligula’s sock game.

4 Likes

You can never have enough yarn, so I think that’s a good start!

3 Likes

I have great faith in you!!!go!

1 Like

I am in, and although I have the w&t skill my w&t heel leaves much to be desired. Anybody have a good video recommendation? Here is my yarn. There will only be a thin stripe of pink and two big blocks of color.

8 Likes

Question for the group. I’m planning to do top down socks with a picot hem. The Field Guide suggests tracking down the picot hem-I’m wondering if I can just use a provisional cast on and when picot rounds are down, fold it down knit my cast on edge with the working edge and carry. Or will I lose stretch or structure in the sock? Thanks.

Superfancy! I reckon this would work, though it means more steps. I don’t think it would affect the stretch or structure.

For mine, I just cast on using long tail method, knitted the whole sock, then went back and sewed down the cast-on edge to the inside of the sock, with loose stitches to keep the cuff stretchy. I’ll avoid a provisional cast on whenever I can! ; )

Thanks. I agree with you on provisional cast-ons. We will see how ambitious I am when the needles hit the yarn…

Making my first pair for hubby. Big change from my size 6.5 to his size 13s!

11 Likes

I’m in! Cuff down, picot cuff, seeded rib leg - not too far along, but loving the look - I’m on a ‘six socks in six months’ mission for June-Dec, and this is pair number five, feeling good about making the goal!

12 Likes

You will make it-impressive!

1 Like

Hi everyone! Um, new here and newish to knitting. Please forgive me I’m still figuring all this out. Hoping to join in, to help motivate myself to learn socks (that and the splurging I just did on gorgeous hand died yarn that was on a flash sale now! [Abusylife on Etsy including a pic of one of the yarns]). All of you guys are so talented hoping to be inspired and figure this out. Just started gauging some yarn for a practice sock. I’ve never worked with yarn this thin or double end needles or the tiny 9" sz 2 circular. Haha, it’s a learning curve. And discovering I’m not crazy about bamboo. (I taught myself on metal circulars.) Seems I knit a bit too tight that it slows me down. Ah, well I’ll adjust.

Hope everyone has a lovely time and enjoys all this awesomeness!

Screenshot_20191031-215518|250x500

6 Likes

Beautiful colours! That’ll keep you busy!

Same size as my dad and hubby. Acres of stocking stitch! It takes an age to do just one sock! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Hi there, socksters!

The first Giftalong winner is @knancyknitz on Instagram Nancy M. of team Big (and team Revolutionaries and team Downtowners–of which she may be the only member) who bowled us over with three projects all laid out on the start day and two projects completed in the first 8 days…GOALZ!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming! xoCristina
Capture

12 Likes

Congratulations @knancyknitz! Your doing a great job :+1::blush:

1 Like

Oh wow, welcome! I am so curious how you find working with 9" circs–I’ve never tried them. Seems like it could be good fun, sort of like elfin knitting.

That yarn is absolutely beautiful and will be fun to knit as the colors shift. I guess my only advice is to take your time and enjoy all the newness. Knitting my first sock was a total peak moment for me–I hope you have fun with it. And remember, your second sock will be even better than the first.

1 Like

Cuff down! Yes! I’m too lazy to do toe up . . . That sock yarn is really beautiful–what brand is it? I’ve never tried self-striping yarn like that.

1 Like

You’re awfully kind! I have avoided knitting socks for my two lads and Hubbo–so much FOOT they have down there. Maybe I need to get with it.

1 Like

Yeah! Team Socks, all the way forever.

bonus cat photo:

P.S. No kitchener stitching in my household.

11 Likes

just start - the heel makes much more sense in yarn then on paper.

4 Likes