Socks and Blocks Knitalong 2020

When the temperature rises, we turn to small, portable, addicting knitting: socks and blanket squares. Starting June 1, we launch the Socks and Blocks Knitalong.

Read all about the Socks and Blocks Knitalong right here.

Let’s share our progress as we knit our way through the summer with all the color and imagination we can muster. What’s on your agenda for Socks and Blocks? We love seeing your photos.

11 Likes

Here and ready for the false start to be called - just kitchner’ed sock one tonight, so a few days ahead of the June 1st start - will cast on the second sock for the official race. Picot hemmed cuff, seeded rib leg, short row heel. Thank you for another Knitalong - wonderful community connection always, and especially now :smile:

9 Likes

I am going to try the blanket! About a year ago (I think?) I got the yarn for Purl Soho’s Color Wash blanket, but I never got around to making it. I’m thinking it would make a really interesting Picket Fence blanket instead, as this seems more fun than miles and miles of garter stitch.

Of course, I am incapable of knitting one project at a time, and I do love my socks! First up is finishing these spring chickens, made with a set from Hue Loco’s backyard chicken collection:

14 Likes

Way to get a head start! That picot hemmed cuff is such a good magic trick.

3 Likes

That colorway is amazing. I would love to see what you do with it for a Picket Fence blanket. And so good to be doing socks for a palate cleanser. Just need a little break sometimes!

3 Likes

I’ve been working on learning to knit socks since January. 2 classes later one in person and one on Zoom. I’ve got it!. The big thing was the heel flap, heel turn and finally the gusset. Knitting the gusset took a leap of faith because I couldn’t see where I was going until I was almost finished.

I started anew pair of socks using Wanderlust but my question is leg length is given by number of rounds but I lost track and the texture of my sock makes it hard to count. I marled the texture. Is there an average number of inches for an ankle or crew sock? I need to make sure both socks are the same and I think I’m ready to start my heel flap. Help
Please be safe the world seems to have forgotten how to be civil and polite in addition to dealing with covid.

Sue

5 Likes

Hi Sue! My go-to height for a crew sock for me (I wear a size 10 shoe and I’m 5’10”) is 64 rows—the same number as the number of stitches I cast on. That would be about 5”, then 1.5” for the cuff.

Ankle socks would be a lot shorter—I haven’t made them so I hope somebody who has will chime in.

Way to nail the gusset—it is definitely in of the more amazing moments in all knitting.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for answering my question. I never thought anyone would answer so quickly. Now I have 2 measurement same number of rows as cast on stitches for the leg and 5". I was going to start the second sock but now I know I need to knit some more for this sock. My feet are smaller size 8" and I’m at 3" tall with a 1.5" cuff. I think I need to revisit the number of stitches I cast on because 5" might be too tall for me.
Thank you so much for taking time to help me
Sue

2 Likes

I would try measuring the length of a sock that you like that you own. You could also google sock lengths, there are a number of guides out there, but all a bit different. I wear a 7.5 shoe and most patterns I see call for about a 7" leg–but it is all personal preference. The nice thing about toe up is you can try them on and decide along the way.

7 Likes

Toe up might be the way to go but lol I need to completely master cuff down first. I really had a mind bender with the gusset portion. I could not visualize where I was headed. I will Google other sock lengths but I know a 7" leg maybe too long. I have one sock with 5" leg plus 1.5" cuff and it’s long. As with all creations it’s a growth experience. Thanks for all your help and insight. I will use it.

Be safe
Sue

4 Likes

I just ordered the Wanderlust book and have lots of sock yarn! I’m ready to go!

7 Likes

Hi, Kay. 1st time joining the Lounge. I am planning a picket fence blanket for my granddaughter. I started the lst square yesterday. and thru accidents got the 1st 3 stripes finished. then my brain failed me and I can’t for the life of me get to the second short stripe with yarn A in the right position. I read and re-read the instructions. what am I missing, why isn’t it intuitive.
I will also be making a pair of shortie socks in Miss Babs sock yarn and Moonglow held together. was going to be Momo socks but tiny star stitch not so easy or cute so switching to my own pattern. 1stpicket fence square

14 Likes

Hi Ann,
I’m doing a practice square today and need a way to wrap and change colors consistently. Each time I get to the color change I stare at it as I’ve I’m doing it for the first time and the result is quite a jumble! Here are my colors. Slate and aubergine. Have some nice bright ones for the accent strips. I did the dish towels that Kaye recommended a few weeks ago in the same yarn and love it. Emma

2 Likes

Oops didn’t upload pic last time. Hope this works.

7 Likes

What color palette did you choose for the Purl Soho blanket? I love both Reef and Summit💙

I’ve been knitting blocks but as usual, not following the “rules” :wink:
Just received Field Guide No 4, Log Cabin, so thought I’d do some of those and throw in some BB dishcloths just for fun😄

1 Like

I usually make my socks about 5.5 inches including the cuff when going cuff down. It is a nice length that I don’t have to fold over or scrunch down.

2 Likes

Megan (or Diane?), so glad you posted that photo! I have more-than-required amounts of Rowan denim very dark and RD undyed/natural but kept thinking, “The dark will bleed all over the natural”! But it’s denim, right? And the bleeds and fades are why we love it. So I’m gonna do it. Mine will be the reverse of yours, with natural stripes against very dark blue, and the contrasts will be lighter shades of denim (of which I have a few skeins).

I went with Reef because I love blue-greens, but had a hard choice between it and Chamomile as I also adore yellow. I actually have leftovers of the same yarn in a couple of the yellow colors, so I am thinking of using them as my accent stripes.

Off to swatch!

2 Likes

YES to the blue-greens color palette!!

1 Like