Instruction Book for a Very New Knitter?

My neighbor is just beginning to knit and I’d love to help her, but … hard to do when you can’t physically sit next to her during this lockdown.
Could someone recommend a simple book that helps a new knitter get started?
Thanks much

Hmmmm. I used the Chicks with Sticks knitting book. But there were some things in it that did confuse me–for knitting, I need to be shown the stuff, and once I have the skills, then I can read patterns and all that. But the projects in this are good, and my friends who knit and can learn a new skill from a book really like this one as well.
(Maybe I’m just weird in that I need a book AND a person? :-D)

1 Like

When I wanted to re-learn to knit years ago I bought a Susan Bates “teach yourself to knit” book which had great diagrams and was very helpful. I saw that Purl Soho has a new learn to knit kit as well but don’t know exactly what is in it. I suspect with You Tube now almost any learn to knit book would be a good start?

2 Likes

When I was teaching myself to knit, I found several basic video classes on Craftsy (now called Bluprint) very helpful as a visual learner. I just went to see if I could remember the titles of the first few I took, and I see all their classes are free through 4/16. It’s all recorded so you can watch things over and over, slow down, rewind, etc.

I remember checking out a few different knitting books but I really needed to see the stitches actually happening— drawings in books just didn’t help.

Good luck to your friend! I hope she finds a wonderful new hobby in knitting and soon you two can knit together in person.

3 Likes

I’m a relatively new knitter, and I’ve found the videos at Very Pink Knits super helpful. https://verypink.com/

10 Likes

I started with Stitch and Bitch, Debbie Stoller’s first book. I can also highly recommend Michelle Hunter’s videos, KnitPurlHunter on YouTube or her website, https://knitpurlhunter.com/blog/knit-purl-hunter-video-lessons-by-category/

2 Likes

Thank you!

Lucy Neatby’s Brand New Knitter DVD’s are on sale now. They are excellent. https://lucyneatby.com/index.php?specific=1000065

2 Likes

Lots of good ideas - thank you

1 Like

Look at Utube videos by Shelly Brander of Loops. There are some slow and well- photographed videos of simple acts such as knitting and purling. Really better than sitting next to a master knitter. Good luck.

2 Likes

When I was first knitting, I found Sally Melville’s The Knit Stitch and The Purl Stitch to be very helpful. Not only are her descriptions and photos good, but she includes patterns that a new knitter would actually want to make and wear. I am not sure if it’s still in print but you can probably find it in your library or online as a used book.

3 Likes

Thank you, Mardee

1 Like

Super ideas, for sure! I would ditto Very Pink Knits, and add Tin Can Knits progressive starter set of 8 free patterns that has pictures and videos and moves from scarf to sweater in gradations.

5 Likes

Another good source of easy kits and good videos is Wool and The Gang. The patterns are simple and totally explain all the stitches required as well as other techniques necessary for the pattern. They have a video for each stitch. I was introduced to them with the super bulky wool yarn and large needles which make for a quick project.

3 Likes

This thread resurfaced today for some reason. Here’s my opinion, a year late…
YouTube is a knitters best friend. If one video explanation doesn’t make sense to you, just try another. So easy! As for a reference book, the most basic and complete, with clear language and illustrations is “Knitter’s Handbook” by Montse Stanley. ISBN 978 0 7621 0248 8

1 Like

Does your neighbor have access to the internet? I have found the Purl Soho tutorials on YouTube to be helpful. Also check out Loopy Mango.

1 Like