Learning Brioche

Do I need to take a class, or is there a good, simple book for a knitter who know NOTHING about Brioche?

1 Like

Personally I bought Nancy Marchant’s class on Craftsy and it was the ticket for me. Easy to follow and a nice progression of projects which help you master the skill. It’s a very interesting skill to learn and so different than normal knitting, especially with two colours.

8 Likes

I have to agree with Robmsusanw, Nancy Marchant also has several books on the subject. You could check You-tube, but really the Bluprint (Craftsy) class is the best way to go!

4 Likes

I’d also add that, as a relative brioche novice, I’ve followed several patterns geared towards beginners without issue. I definitely want to master the concepts better, but you might be able to jump right in depending on what you want to make.

5 Likes

Thanks, goblincheeks - I’m gathering my courage!

1 Like

I’d say just jump right in. I did a brioche cowl when I was a new knitter (fewer than 10 projects under my belt) just beacuse I loved the way it looked in the magazine. I was able to complete with no problem by just carefully following the instructions and it wasn’t until much later that I “discovered” that brioche was a more advanced technique! In my case, ignorance was bliss.
Caen Cowl

4 Likes

I’m looking for the courage to try Brioche. I took a class once but I think it was more advanced for me or maybe it seemed everyone else was more advanced that I was. I bought Nancy Marchant’s book but got nervous about trying. How silly that seems to me but after knitting a few more projects and reading these comments I’m going to try again but I think I’ll start with a swatch to get the hang of it. What I want to know is if it’s necessary to practice wrap and turns before brioche.

4 Likes

I did the same… Saw a pattern I liked and went for it. I’m the kinda gal who says to myself “I can read. How hard can it be?” I know my limits with most things-electricity is rarely a do it myself. But with knitting my main problem had not been intricate instructions, it’s been not reading them carefully enough and trying to go too fast.

6 Likes

No wrap and turn in brioche! So you can just jump in.

I teach a lot of beginning brioche classes. I have a free brioche headband pattern, Petite Brioche. It’s 2 colors, in the round. I think in the round is easier to learn than flat, and 2 color in the round is easier than one color. Here’s a link to the pattern page, Petite Brioche. There are video tutorials link in the pattern, too.

Have fun! Brioche is my favorite kind of knitting right now.

7 Likes

I just finished my first brioche project and my best advice/lesson learned is to save your brioche knitting for your quiet knitting time when there’s no tv and no one talking at you, definitely not a Netflix-and-chill type of knitting when you first start. Take your time and focus on practicing the stitches to save yourself from some four letter words and tinking. It’s a lot of fun to watch your knitting develop when doing brioche, give it a shot! I made the Camella hat because I decided to be insane and tackle learning brioche and two-color brioche all at once. The designer did a great job of keeping it to just a few types of stitches and ones that could be more easily learned. I watched some YouTube videos to figure the increases and decreases out. It was addicting and fun though!

11 Likes

Also! Stop and look at what you knit each repeat and make sure it looks right. It’s was was easier to back up and correct just one repeat than to try and unknit a whole row!

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Judy Carney

judy.carney0@gmail.com

925 212 9996

www.judycarney@arbonne.com

AND you teach those classes in Portland, OR where, as it happens, I reside! See you at Twisted soon as I can sign up for a class. :o)

2 Likes

I too jumped into brioche as a relative beginner, doing the Brioche Basic scarf. I would reiterate would folks have said about doing it when its quiet and you can pay attention, and to check stitch counts carefully on rows. I basically tinked the first 1/2 of the scarf due to not checking stitch counts on increase rows. Ah well, learned a LOT about how brioche works, so now it is ingrained in my brain!
Also, recommend a video class. I had access to Knit Stars 1: Steven West’s class on brioche, and that’s what really got me comfortable doing brioche.

5 Likes

Fabulous hat. I need to make that to go with my sister-in-law’s scarf. Thanks for posting it.
And I identify with the craziness of learning both at the same time. :):crazy_face:

1 Like

Turns out there is a class right here in Portland (I’m so glad you wrote in, pdxknitterati!) and I have signed up - can hardly wait.
Genia

2 Likes

I did a class at my LYS, and we did the Pop Fizzle hat, really well written in detail for a newbie.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pop-fizzle

2 Likes

I’ve been watching Andrea Mowry video but good point. I’ll also go back and look at Stephen West’s. I have Knit Stars 1. thanks for the idea.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply! I’d love to see you in class. I just figured out my schedule at Twisted for the next few months…

See you soon!