It's the MDK Lopi Knitalong!

I opted for knitting a larger size on my 6.5mm needles. I had done about 7” of knitting on my regular size and decided it was too snug so I just ripped it out and will start over. It knits up fast so I’m OK with that. I was getting 3.5 stitches per inch like you.

1 Like

I didnt want to go any larger with my needles to loose of fabric. Once I figured out my math. After som research and the help of Patty Lyons. I was able to calculate what my size would be. And again if it is larger that’s ok also. It’s meant to be layerd.

I’m a bit delayed on starting, but I have been struggling to choose color options for a Daytripper cardigan…then I remembered that some of the yarn I inherited when my grandmother passed away may have included some Lettlopi. Turns out there were 7 skeins in all, 6 of which are among my possible choices:

I’m glad one of the colors she got was Golden, because on MDK’s website it looks golden brown, but to me it looks distinctly greenish. I ordered several other potential colors from MDK, so while I wait for them, and my final selection of a main color for the Daytripper, I’m off to make a swatch and some Jaunty Beanies.

14 Likes

Me, too! My color work is considerably tighter. Glad I started with the scarf — which is so much softer after a bath in Soak. image|352x500

13 Likes

Love your colors!

1 Like

I have knit a pair of mittens so far, and plan several more pair. I have several single skeins in stash, so there are options.
I wish I wanted to knit the cardigan because I love cutting steeks. I’m more of a pullover person though, and I love the Destination pattern. I can’t decide which colors I want, and not being able to put the different colors side by side contributes to my procrastination.

2 Likes

I love the look of your felted mitten. Did you knit them to gauge and the pattern size or did you alter the pattern first? Lovely! Some lucky little kidlett!

1 Like

You should knit Daytripper as a pullover. I’m guessing it’s going to be done!

1 Like

I think they all look gorgeous together! I would just go for it with those choices.

I have issues with Lopi while I’m knitting with it, but I’ve found that if you give it a good soak and wash 3 times, it’s much better. Learned that with a sweater I got during a college stopover in Iceland and that’s still in my sweater trunk 40 years later. It’s worth any initial irritation while knitting with it to get to the finished product!

3 Likes

Your colors are beautiful!! Can’t wait to see your finished sweater.

1 Like

I knit it on a size 10 and totally eyeballed the length for thumb placement and starting final decreases as I had no idea how much shrinkage I’d get! A thorough, smart person might have said, knit a swatch and measure before & after felting. I’m NOT that person😆 A mitten, hat, scarf…IS a swatch!

It seems I’m building a playlist based on my Trinket Mittens. When my yarn arrived I did a little Bjork dive on YouTube. Not really hummable for me but a nice nod to my yarn’s home. It felt good.

Before the knitalong (or as I call it the Lettlopalong) I taught myself how to deal with floats on double points and how to use a knitting thimble. At the same time. Madness. At first, that made me sing “Our House” but, as I wasn’t very good at either technique, I found myself singing Annie Lennox’s “Why” as I ripped out and started again. The one upside of being home alone is there’s no one to judge you when you’re yelling “you don’t know how I feel” at your knitting.

It all worked out and and I officially started on the first day of this now named womeninmusicalong. I am actually pretty pleased with how the floats worked out and I like the knitting thimble. My mom called in the middle of it (it’s all of six rows) and I was so determined and afraid to put it down or take the thimble off that she was asking me questions like “are you okay?” and “is someone in the house with you?” and “should I call 911?” I called her back and sent her this picture.

They’re not perfect but blocking will do it’s magic.

Then I got to the “turning row” which somehow sent me back to the early 80s and I started humming Borderline. Hey Madonna, want a pair of mittens. The tops are pointy–you’ll love them.

Kept on knitting, kept on loving this yarn and got to the part where it says “turn the whole thing inside out.”

Well that’s very punk rock of you Mary Jane Mucklestone. Debby Harry would be proud. But then I got to that first stitch trick on the next row and, girl, that was poetry. Punk poetry. Patti Smith stuff. I’ve been humming “Because the Night” for the past few inches and waiting or the next song to come.

15 Likes

Thank you. I was not really sure if I should block to see where the number ended up. I do not think I have ever cared as I have made scarves, shawls and blankets and 2 pairs of socks that would have fit if I stopped the toe sooner. I really want to make a sweater.

Haha! I’m not that person either!! I know I have to search for some things but why not make the swatch the thing!! Hats are all swatches…we have lots of little growing heads and plenty of older noggins too!

Knit and enjoy!! Thanks for sharing this fantastic idea!! I’m on it in green mountains!!

2dconrad

1 Like

Aaah! Row 18, no color change, no increase; I go zoom!

MC will be Lagoon, the deep bluish green (stash). A is Milky Way, which I love. It’s sort of a rainbow white. I sure hope this lump will block as beautifully as the swatches did.

24 Likes

Gauge is crucial for a garment. My first sweater turned out huge because I was in denial the whole time I was knitting it. I should have started over: why not, I enjoy knitting, right? Now I don’t mind a false start. I’ll start over almost as often as not, no big deal, no rush.

3 Likes

Gorgeous! Love your colors!

1 Like

I’m using a linen cotton blend I inherited from my mom 20 years ago. I had recently dyed it with turmeric. It is a perfect yarn for my destination, not to hot to knit with. I was hoping the turmeric would relieve my arthritic joints, but no such luck.

22 Likes

Knitting in paradise! :heart::heart:

3 Likes