Parallelogram scarf fabric

I am not clear on what the fabric should look like. Some rows I am knitting where I purpled so I get a seed stitch pattern. Sometimes I get a 2x2 rib. And sometimes I am ‘inbetween’ In that my k2p2 catches one knit stitch and one purl stitch. Does this make sense? With 101 sts being an odd number I would not expect to be getting 2x2 ribbing. Should I start over (this is my third attempt) it will it matter?
Thank you experienced knitters!

2 Likes

I’m thinking you made a mistake somewhere along the way (voice of experience here). You should not have 2x2 rib. I will tell you that when I found an error in my current row I tinker back. If I found it below I did not. Personal preference obviously but this is a very long scarf. Nobody will notice the error but you.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response! I frogged and have cast on with my scrap yarn (this is my fourth attempt). You would think k2p2 would be easy, but I guess I get distracted. Will try again. I was sure the ribbing was wrong. I just wish I knew what I should expect on that wrong side . . .

I gave mine to my mom, so I can’t send a picture, but if I remember correctly they are pretty much the same. I found it easy to get distracted—it is just a step up from totally mindless knitting!

2 Likes

Your Mom is a lucky woman!!! Thanks again for responding. I will get it eventually.

3 Likes

Thank you. She was cold one night when we were visiting and I had just finished it. She liked it so much I didn’t have the heart to take it back! I’ll make another for myself one day I’m sure.

3 Likes

I’ve found that some stitch combos take practice. Although I’m not working on this project, I can offer one idea: make a swatch. Rather than casting on the suggested number of stitches and jumping right in, I use scrap yarn and learn from my mistakes on a smaller scale, say 21 stitches or so, depending on the pattern.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion — great idea. I have figured it out and once I figured it out it seemed quite obvious. It’s an odd number of sts cast on, so as I go back down the row it means I move over one — I will knit two: one will be into a purl stitch and one into a knit stitch. And then purl two: one will be into a knit stitch and the other into a purl and so on and so on so it is very easy to know whether I am on track. And it makes a very neat fabric.

I do like the idea of practicing first with a little swatch piece. That, too, seems like a no-brainer now that you suggest it!! And these are some of the many reasons I truly love knitting. My poor brain needs the exercise.

Thanks again for the help!

3 Likes

I’m making a triple-wide and FINALLY figured it out: on the first row of the ‘new’ color the first knit stitch goes into a knit stitch and the second knit stitch into a purl. When I turn to knit row 2 of that color, the first knit stitch goes into a purl and the second knit stitch into a knit.

2 Likes