Grafting mistake rib?

I am making the Brooklyn Tweed Noro scarf. It calls for alternating colors of hte beautiful Silk Garden every two rows. You use two balls of a main color and then one ball each of two other colors. It’s just gorgeous.
I’m working in mistake rib over 39 sts (Row 1: K3, *slip 1 with yarn in front (wyif), k3, repeat from * to end of row. Row 2: K1, *slip 1 wyif, k3, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, slip 1 wyif, k1.)
But here’s my problem. I hit the halfway mark and started working with my new color. About 20 rows later, I decided it was too blah and started another new color. I’m 12 inches into the new color and realize that I want to take out the section with the blah yarn, and graft the beginning section to the new section. Kitchener stitch seems like the way to go, but can it be used with the mistake rib? Or do I just rip it back?

2 Likes

Ugh, the slipped stitch might be the deal-breaker, as you would need to work 2 rows to accomplish the connection.

1 Like

Hi, I recently did a big grafting job all around a pullover. It didn’t have the slipped stitches but it had a similar kind of problem with alternating stockinette and seed stitch. It was mind-bending to figure out, easy to make mistakes, and difficult to get good tension through the graft. In your position, I would rip back.

3 Likes

I hate to rip out but better to rip than to be unhappy with the results. I’m making a hat for male friend and thought I could do brown yarn and purple mohair. I even did a test swatch. I knit 2" of ribbing and went, “Oh no I can’t give this as a gift it’s too purple.” I spent this afternoon ripping out all my work. I’m not happy but I also wouldn’t want to give a gift that wasn’t liked. TINK or rip to the spot to remove the yarn. I just don’t think you’ll be happy with your work if you don’t.
Cheers
Sue

1 Like

Guess you realized ripping was the best answer, and especially with slipped stitches. What I find interesting is the amazing number of widely-varying stitches that people call “mistake rib”. The slipped one was new to me, so now I have something new to test out. For that, thanks!