Picket Fence Afghan

This is gorgeous!

2 Likes

I love the colors you chose! Just beautiful.

2 Likes

Fab color combo! Hope you post the finished project.

1 Like

13 done…

3 Likes

Good for you! I’m on number 4. :joy:

2 Likes

I’m plugging way on a Picket Fence Afghan made from Freia minikins. I have my blocks joined together in 5 strips of 4 blocks each, and now need to join the strips. I’m a bit confused by the instructions to “pick up and knit 240 sts along the edges to be joined on each horizontal strip (approx 48 sts per block).” I’m confused because there are only 4 blocks in a strip which by my math (48X4) is only 192. Am I missing something? I checked under the corrections page on the website, but none is noted for this, nor do I find any mention made in The Lounge Picket Fence thread. 240 would be the correct number if the strips were 5 blocks wide, but they are only 4 wide as the pattern indicates. Many thanks for any clarification that can be provided!

2 Likes

Your math makes sense to me. The pattern does say approximately 48 sts per block. I can’t imagine getting that many extra. Since it is just joining the completed strips, I say just use whatever number of stitches works for you. No one will ever count.

2 Likes

It is possible that the sample was done with 5 strips 4 blocks. Depends on whether you joined horizontally or vertically first. Either way, do what works.

1 Like

Hi! First of all I promise you that I did not count the number of stitches that I picked up on my own version of this, because garter stitch is very reliably square in its geometry, which means that every stitch is just about half as tall as it is wide and every two rows or single “ridge” of knitting is equal to the stitch width. Because of this one ridge to one stitch ratio . . . along the edge you can pick up one stitch for every ridge of knitting and trust there will be no buckling or stretching. Forget counting, just pick up as many stitches as you have ridges, and you’re good to go!

edited to add: if you follow the ridge logic, your stitch counts will match which is important if you’re doing a 3 needle bind off join. Cheers!

2 Likes

Did not know that about garter stitch. I might need to rethink making my stockinette temperature blanket garter and go back to stockinette. Or just suck it up and dive in. That is a good piece of info to have (and hopefully retain) in the future. Thanks!

2 Likes

Many thanks. I didn’t have any issue with picking up the stiches along the rows (I quickly figured out as you noted that every two rows was the place to pick up a stitch) and any others have said, don’t fret it when picking up stiches to attach the strips together. I’ll post a pic when I finish!

1 Like

Picking up along Stockinette isn’t much different, it’s just a different “rate of pick up” or “number of used opportunities”. If you pick up every 3 out of 4 rows (or 2 out of 3) along stockinette you get a nice and even perpendicular relationship. I don’t know how interested you might be in the technicalities, but you can always work out your pick up rate using math, divide the stitch count into the row count and turn that into a ratio.

3 Likes

Well, I finally finished my Picket Fence Afghan, made with Freia yarns. Started January 2021, had the blocks done by May, then I let it “age” for 9 months. Blocked the squares in February of this year, then started putting it together. I’m not sure I did it correctly as my seams ended up on top, but I kind of like it that way. Finished by doing a crochet edge all around. Fun project, but I’d never make another one - too much picking up! Now helping a friend with hers.

10 Likes

Oh, wow, that is really beautiful. Mine will be a long term project as well, but I have been debating doing “visible” seams as well. I like the way it looks!

1 Like