Picket Fence Afghan

Is anyone trying out Picket Fences yet? I’m getting gauge but it all looks so loose and messy. Will washing help that? Also, my purls are noticeably looser than my knits. I don’t think that will wash out. :frowning:

I’m pretty sure that the washing helped even out the work for the sample blanket - and you can always use a set of smaller needles for the purls. Fussy, yes, but…

I can’t wait to see your project!

2 Likes

My purls are looser than my knits in EVERYTHING, so I have often used two different sizes of needle on a single interchangeable cable. Onto one interchangeable cable, put the needle size that gets your gauge on your knit needle (the right one for almost all of us) and a size smaller on your purl needle (the left needle for most of us). I am referring to the right and left in terms of the RS of the fabric facing here.

The washing does fix a world of sins. The sample blanket features the work of four knitters and their personal versions of the same gauge (more or less) and three different dye lots. You’d never know it to see it in person!

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! I’m making a swatch square so we’ll see how it turns out.

You could try an eastern purl (wrap the yarn the opposite way on the purl). This uses less yarn and makes the stitch tighter. It does change the orientation of the stitch so you have to knit tbl on the wrong side or purl tbl if in the round. Definitely get a more even tension between knits and purls!

2 Likes

Just looked up the pattern - it seems to be garter stitch? Is this the right one? I’m not sure where the purls come in.

Part of the magic of the pattern is that sections of all purl make garter too. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m on my 5th block and it looks really loose, too. Once I got the hang of it, it’s really fun!

But, I will not have enough yarn and it’s now discontinued.

Does anyone have leftovers they’re willing to sell??? (I have notes into a number of Ravelers but no response from that route yet).

2 Likes

I just had a brainstorm to knit the Picket Fence Afghan for my niece for her graduation present. Would it be a mistake to look at knitting this in a wool yarn rather than cotton. She lives in Montana.
THX!

2 Likes

Additionally I found 11 skeins of Rowan Denim in Nashville in my stash. :astonished: Can I combine it with handknit cotton?

1 Like

I have used both in other blankets in the past. It should be fine.

Thanks! I couldn’t believe my luck with the stash. Off to order book #7

2 Likes

Finally ready to start, I think I have just the right colors

4 Likes

It is such great yarn to knit with.

I would like to make the Picket Fence afghan for my son’s graduation, but after he chose it realized Rowan Original Denim has been discontinued. Julia, Ann and Kay - any substitution suggestions? I assume it would have to modified for a non-shrinking, non-denim yarn? Thank you!
p.s. I would be open to wool, especially if super wash since it is for a 22 year old who has requested easy care.

3 Likes

I’m using Cascade 220 superwash and it seems to be going well so far.

4 Likes

Thank you! It looks beautiful, love the colors. I’m actually leaning toward Cascade 220 super wash. So many colors and so easy to care for. good luck!

2 Likes

Looks really great! Good job!!!

1 Like

I’m using Plymouth Select DK Merino Superwash. Chose it because I thought a wool blanket would be warmer and there is a very wide choice of colors.

6 Likes

Thank you! It looks beautiful. I had not thought of the Plymouth, appreciate the tip.

1 Like