Rowan - how to start the ball

I’m working on two of the patterns from Painterly with Rowan Felted Tweed. Is there a good way to find the yarn on the inside of the ball so that I can have a center pull? Sometimes it’s been relatively easy and on other balls, I just give up! Thanks.

1 Like

As I have been working on my garter striped shawl, I’m having the same issue. My resolution is to just start from the outside of the ball. I’m curious if there is a trick.

Can’t you just make a cake of yarn by winding it on a toilet paper roll? Put a slit in the edge of the paper roll and leave 3-4 inches hooked in the slit so you can pull from it after the ball is made. I recently learned how to do this. Search on line for “making a center-pull cake of yarn.” I hope this is what you’re looking for.

I have this same question! I have some Felted Tweed I purchased 6ish years ago and a fresh new batch purchased from MDK this January. I can never find the center pull on the new balls. How curious! I too have given up but much prefer a center pull and would also love to hear any tricks.

Given how tangled a center pull ball becomes when it starts collapsing agter you have used about half of it, I gave up on EVER doing center pull again, unless I am forced to do so because I need to join another yarn for just a few rows like on a shoulder. In my experience, pulling from the outside is always best. I made myself some ceramic yarn bowls, or drop the ball into a plastic or nylon bag, for easy pulling.

That being said, use the eraser end of a pencil to stir around the center to find an end.

3 Likes