Setesdal Hat Knitalong with Arne & Carlos

Oooh I love your colours!

Yes, you can use Felted Tweed!

1 Like

In case anyone was wondering what the two color version would look like. I went up to size 4 and 6 needles for my stitch gauge and it is large enough for my husband’s head. I think the continuity of the pattern really shows with just two colors. I love the bright one too!!

29 Likes

Agree totally, Ann! My hat is looking a little small, although the fabric on size 4 needles feels delightful. Not too flimsy; just right!
I’m thinking of this as a large swatch for that gorgeous sweater!

3 Likes

Wow, the 2-color B & W makes it look totally different! I love this version!

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I did! My first hat was way off, the second one on size 6 needles was much closer. I’m using size 4 for the plain stockinette, and size 6 for the color work.

2 Likes

You are quite welcome. Glad it helps. Husband is 6!6” with large head so am quite used to enlarging things lol. Enjoy!

1 Like

I love the 2 color version!!!

1 Like

This is very elegant.

1 Like

Finally got gauge with size 6 needles. Guess my colorwork is tight! I’m wondering if I should also size up needles for the ribbing or stick to what’s specified in the pattern. I typically get correct gauge for the specified needles with stockinette. Thoughts anyone?

2 Likes

I was considering doing a higher rib to do a fold (to protect my ears better) before starting the color work, but it would probably require that I start decreasing before the end of the color work (to avoid getting a too elongated hat) and I am not sure I am ready to do that. I may have to stick to the pattern. Did anybody consider adding a fold?

2 Likes

Oooh, love a folded brim. The hat already has a pretty tall silhouette (if that makes sense) so you could work fewer rounds of the colorwork if you wanted to keep the basic shape of the hat while avoiding working decreases in the colorwork. Does that make sense? Or the fold could just cover some of the colorwork? Several possibilities here.

1 Like

Thank you Ann! Now need to think about the options you proposed. May be good ideas for a 2 color version (so now I need to plan to do at least 2 hats!)

1 Like

I have knit on Norwegian Wool quite a bit. I find the best needle for plain stockinette to be 3.5 mm. So I change my stranded colourwork needle to 4.0mm. I left the ribbing on a 3.0 mm as indicated in the pattern and it made a lovely edge.

1 Like

A Valentine’s Day take on the colourway.

11 Likes

I too wanted more warmth over my ears so I knit a brim of about 20 rows/2.5 inches in 2x2 rib to fold over. I like a slouchy hat so I’m not so worried about the hat being too tall. But if it seems like too much hat while I’m knitting I may leave off some of the colorwork or just do some quick decreases to close up the top as soon as the colorwork is done.

2 Likes

I think you should use 4’s for your ribbing; 2 sizes down form your gauge needle.

1 Like

Don’t forget that the stranded color work will double the thickness of your fabric.

3 Likes

Here’s my progress after a few hours this afternoon. Coming along nicely! #arnecarlos, #moderndaily knitting

12 Likes

Cast on and rib completed for the MDK Arne & Carlos knitalong. Loving the colours. #arnecarlos #moderndailyknitting

8 Likes