Shakerag Skirt Knitalong

I hand washed my skirt and laid flat to dry. It took about 3 days to dry completely. I wasn’t sure if you woul have access to a washer and dryer.

This skirt is a great travel project though. I compled most of mine in the car.

1 Like

Looks great on you!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I am figuring that it’s a good travel project because mostly you just go round and round and round. Those are the only projects I can do without needing to look at my hands all the time! However, I have now knitted three marlogram scarves on holiday and find them absolutely mesmerizing.

1 Like

Hi Skirt knitters, I haven’t made a Shakerag yet. Your skirts look so lovely and I love that wide band of lace. Because I won’t be going bare-legged, I’m wondering if anyone has worn theirs over tights or leggings and can tell me if the skirt “rides up” the tights?

1 Like

I have not had problems with mine riding up with tights.

1 Like

Good to know! Much more likely I’ll be making one. Thanks.

1 Like

Beautiful!!

2 Likes

Skirt update. I was pretty close to the finish line, but thought I should’ve added extra length and short rows at the beginning. I had lengthened decrease frequency to create a straighter skirt and it fit pretty well as I tried it on with barber cord, but even so, I felt the skirt was just a bit form fitting and short. So…I frogged 95 rows back to the lace by threading another cable needle around and laddering back on the BOR point. Posting this to encourage anyone to not fear frogging and making changes. Thanks to @nellknits for the great pattern and outstanding planning advice in this forum and at her MDK Knitting Getaway class. I hope to finish soon!

6 Likes

Thanks Nell! I love this pattern so much! I think there’s another in my future!

1 Like

I’m thrilled to hear this, thank you!

2 Likes

Love this skirt!

3 Likes

The knitting part of my (first!) Shakerag skirt is finished. Blocking & elastic are next, but I was able to photograph it without the elastic. Love, love this pattern by @nellknits!

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/spartybama/shakerag-skirt

8 Likes

You look smashing!

2 Likes

Looks great on you. I like this length very much.

2 Likes

Thank you! Such a great pattern, and so flattering on all bodies. You really knocked this one out of the park!

2 Likes

Thank you. I added several inches of length after the lace.

2 Likes

I’m going to start one this week. How did adding inches of length after the lace affect the A-line of the skirt? Was the extra length added before decreases? I like the line of it.

2 Likes

Finished mine a couple of weeks ago. Turned out great and here’s a picture in my Shakerag tuxedo. Hope the picture works!

10 Likes

Yes, after lace, I added GSRs per pattern. Then added extra length before starting decreases. I added about 6.5” (~48 rounds) before making my first decrease and spaced out subsequent decreases differently than the core pattern. @nellknits describes how you can calculate this within the pattern and she happily answers questions. I list my details in my Ravelry project.

I frogged back my first attempt to create a straighter skirt with GSRs. It was helpful to draw out a sketch of the skirt and mark the points where I wanted to add length and where I wanted my decreases to start and end per my measurements. I also used a fabric skirt as my model. Amounts of decreases/width and length are derived from your gauge (basically, it’s math). In my case, the eight stitch decrease = 1” and eight rows = 1”.

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/spartybama/shakerag-skirt

2 Likes

Looks fabulous!!!

2 Likes