Return to MDK

Starting Shakerag and Question Already

I just completed the beginning throws of the Shakerag top. This is my first sweater…I’m a sock kinda gal. Anyway now the pattern says “carry strand not in use up the wrong side (up the outside edge if working in rows)”…so exactly what do I do with that strand and how??

I guess the twist it part will be obvious once I get that yarn in the right place.

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Essentially you are loosely carrying up inside. Like a vertical float?

1 Like

Can’t quite picture it but I’ll get started & see what happens. Thanks for replying!!

1 Like

I’ll try to find mine and take a photo. Otherwise I bet you can find a video on YouTube!

1 Like

Lots to try to help here. You are not doing stripes here exactly, but the idea is the same.

I’ll still try to find mine tomorrow with a photo!

Good luck.

2 Likes

Here is a photo. I also alternated skeins since this is hand dyed so it is not a true “carry” but hopefully this helps a bit more.

2 Likes

thanks so much for the help!

1 Like

yes, that helps a lot. I just couldn’t picture what it would look like. Thank you!!!

1 Like

I’m going to cast on for the Shakerag this weekend, so this is good to know. I think a provisional cast on is a good idea as I may want this a bit longer, and I’ve got an extra skein of yarn. Thanks for the question.

Try laying old yarn on top of new yarn for the first stitch when changing. That secures it.

1 Like

I think I need to do a lot more twisting than i am doing, since I’m still getting holes on those single yarn rows - :frowning:

1 Like