Starting Shakerag and Question Already

I just completed the beginning throws of the Shakerag top. This is my first sweater…I’m a sock kinda gal. Anyway now the pattern says “carry strand not in use up the wrong side (up the outside edge if working in rows)”…so exactly what do I do with that strand and how??

I guess the twist it part will be obvious once I get that yarn in the right place.

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Essentially you are loosely carrying up inside. Like a vertical float?

1 Like

Can’t quite picture it but I’ll get started & see what happens. Thanks for replying!!

1 Like

I’ll try to find mine and take a photo. Otherwise I bet you can find a video on YouTube!

1 Like

Lots to try to help here. You are not doing stripes here exactly, but the idea is the same.

I’ll still try to find mine tomorrow with a photo!

Good luck.

2 Likes

Here is a photo. I also alternated skeins since this is hand dyed so it is not a true “carry” but hopefully this helps a bit more.

4 Likes

thanks so much for the help!

1 Like

yes, that helps a lot. I just couldn’t picture what it would look like. Thank you!!!

1 Like

I’m going to cast on for the Shakerag this weekend, so this is good to know. I think a provisional cast on is a good idea as I may want this a bit longer, and I’ve got an extra skein of yarn. Thanks for the question.

1 Like

Try laying old yarn on top of new yarn for the first stitch when changing. That secures it.

2 Likes

I think I need to do a lot more twisting than i am doing, since I’m still getting holes on those single yarn rows - :frowning:

1 Like