Suggestion for "mindless" knitting project to gift using a yarn like Freia

For Christmas I want to gift a pattern and yarn to my sister to knit something beautiful for herself. She has a constant stream of baby blankets on her needles for other people. With work stress at the moment it needs to be something like a mindless cowl or shawl pattern that is made spectacular using something like Freia. Any suggestions? I had been thinking about the Honeycomb shawl but you have to stay on top of the broken rib brioche.

1 Like

I used Freia to knit a Fissure shawl by Elizabeth Elliott years ago. It’s big, easy without being boring, and was a fun knit. It does require a bit of a contrasting yarn, I used some Jill Draper I had left over. Here’s a not great picture…

5 Likes

What about the very popular Sophie scarf/shawl pattern. Can be made as big or small as you want from a neck scarf to a big shawl. Mindless for sure. All over ravelry. Very easy

4 Likes

Oh wow! This is beautiful.

That’s lovely! How much do you have to pay attention to the pattern shifts?

1 Like

I hadn’t thought about the Sophie shawlet. Definitely mindless and a yarn ball (although I think Sophie is more of a worsted weight?) or something marled like spin cycle could be really beautiful. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s pretty easy once things are established, I put a marker at the shaping spots. The contrasting rows are done with short rows, so that section requires a little more attention, but even there it’s easy once you get the pattern in your head.

2 Likes

Knitters are actually doing Sophie with any weight yarn and adjusting the needle size. I just did one with dk on a size 5 needle and it’s lovely. Experiment with yarn and length. Have fun

3 Likes

baktus shawl is a beautiful and quick meditative knit. It is really more of a shallow modern looking scarf. Read about it here: https://ingridbabbidge.com/baktus/#.Y4dBYi9Okgo
I have made several. You just need a long color changing yarn and a solid.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Searched Sofie scarf on Ravelry but no luck finding a pattern. Could you put a link? Thank you.

1 Like

Ravelry: Sophie Scarf pattern by PetiteKnit. I hope I did this right. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

I used Freia yarn for the Pembroke Scarf by Elizabeth McCarten, its on Ravelry for free, came out great

2 Likes

I love your Bactus, does yours have the fancy edge or is it more straightforward? I’m also looking for a mindless project and the Bactus with a straight edge, if that pattern exists, is appealing. Thank you!

2 Likes

it’s not fancy. The straight edges look really pretty because you carry the yarns up the side. It’s a 4 row sequence.
I cast on 4 stitches and knit two rows with each color increasing with a yo on every row 1
then, wherever you want the middle to be begin decreasing using a K2Tog every on row 1.
My inc (or dec) always occur on the RS and every four rows. super easy! when you get back to 4 stitches, bind off.
I often do a solid and a variegated and just do the inc (or dec) whenever I get to the first row of the solid yarn.
enjoy! it’s a fun and quick project.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting the link - much appreciated!

1 Like

Hmmm. Definitely an easy possibility.

1 Like

It’s a fun knit and can be as big as you want. Just use half your yarn before you start decreases. Enjoy

1 Like

I love using the freia yarn doubled to make the marlagram cowl from field guide 19. It’s a simple repeat and I always have one on my needles. Can be picked up after a long time away and carried on. I’ve made 5. They make great gifts too. It is great waiting room knitting it commuter knitting

5 Likes

I’m going to recommend one of my own patterns, Boomerangle which has directions for fingering and worsted weight wraps that begin with a tab cast on and are knit until you’re done with yarn, time or it’s just big enough. I have made dozens in this style, with alternating stripes or not. This is made with a ball of Uneek, similar weight and yardage to Friea, and alternated every other row.

7 Likes