Sophie Scarf - Help Getting Started

I just got the pattern for the Sophie Scarf and haven’t started yet. Is it necessary to use a circular needle? Are you knitting in the round? or going back and forth like on straight needles?

Thanks for any tips/advice!

-Kim

2 Likes

Hi Kim,
It appears that the scarf is knit back and forth, so you could use a pair of straight needles.

1 Like

Thanks!! It just confused me since the pattern specifies a 24 inch circular - when at it’s widest the scarf is only 5 inches. Seems odd, but maybe it’s a Danish thing . . .

I’ve never done any kind of i-chord, so I wasn’t sure how that worked, but I’m about 80 rows in and it looks pretty good! Thanks again for your help!

4 Likes

Hooray! and you are so welcome.
It looks terrific.

1 Like

It is looking great. I am dong mine on 16” circ so I don’t drop a needle down the couch. This is better than socks for me - tuck in a bag and go. I use the blue yarn up the side to count rows.

5 Likes

Thanks Nell and Lucy! I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday, Lucy, about this being the perfect grab and go, and much easier than socks for me. I started my first socks recently, inspired by MDK comments and the need for something small to carry around. Had to go to the vet yesterday for our dog, and I grabbed the sophie scarf, thinking “this will be so much easier to handle and put down at a moments notice!”

I love your variegated yarn - and good point about the circular needle! I’ve dropped a needle a few times while riding in the car on a long trip, and then had to wait for the next rest stop to find it. Will take a circular from now on!

Happy knitting!
Kim

2 Likes

HI this seems clever. Could you tell me exactly what you are doing? Using a tapestry needle? Or no needle for the blue yarn? Do you bring it up for a certain row? At the end, do you just pull it out and it truly leaves no trace? Thank you for giving more detail. I started a Sophie scarf, could tell it was easy, portable, and a fun project, but I kept getting stuck on which row I was on so am very curious as to exactly how you are doing this. Thank you!

2 Likes

Very simple and works on many projects to count rows. I cut a length of yarn and when I start the first row of the counted rows I just lay it between stitches in the row. I do this a few stitches in and someplace where increase of decrease would not get in the way.
First count I lay it front to back, second section back to front so it’s just weaves it way up. When I’m done with the count or the project is finished it pulls out easily.

4 Likes

Thank you! So many tricks and tips to learn.

2 Likes