The Giftalong: A Knitalong for the Holidays

My giftalong items have been under way: second sock for the 11-yr-old and a cowl, possibly with matching mitts, for the 15-yr-old. I keep seeing other items I want to add to the queue but I want to remain realistic. Wondering what my Brotherman might like …

3 Likes

I knit socks for my husband and my father every Christmas. Size 12 and 13. I’m 3/4 done with one pair but so bored!! What fun, fast, bulky gifts could I knit as distraction?

3 Likes

It’s on like Donkey Kong (do kids still say that?)
I built up some momentum on a recent trip, and hope that my ‘needles up’ moment on Monday will actually be kitchenering the second sock on the first of the gifts (vanilla socks from the Yarn Harlot’s ‘Knitting Rules’), but then before taking a potty break, I’ll be digging in to three UFO’s, that will (fingers crossed), keep my momentum going, and push me towards having something to put under the tree for my kids and hubby: two instances of the Churchmouse Before and After, and a Purl Soho pullover.
Accountability partners, activate!

6 Likes

Count me in. I need all the help I can get with ideas. I am one of those crazy people who have grand ideas and then bogged down with these said ideas and end up starting 2 weeks before the holiday and hoping for a miracle.

2 Likes

I’m in! So far I only have a couple hats on my list of gifts to make, but I am usually in the third group so I am sure the list will grow!

1 Like

I’ve also got a fair amount of dish cloths to make. I’m about half done.

1 Like

I should finish an adult size heavily cabled cardigan that I am test knitting first, BUT I keep getting distracted by working on Xmas gifts. So far, I’ve knit 5 1/2 strips on a Station Wagon blanket for my oldest son and his girlfriend which doubles as a house warming gift (his twin sister and her boyfriend got a blanket last year when they bought a house; these two moved in together after dating for 8 years – the delay was due to her attending med school). Today I needed a break from the cardigan and started a pair of Hedgehog Mitts (from the Fiona Gable book) for my daughter. She bought me the book for my birthday and promptly informed me that she really, really wanted a pair of those mitts. I have had the first of a pair of socks knit for my younger son, who goes to college in a colder state (Ohio) and loved the pair I knit him last year. I also have a pair of flip-top mitts for Mom that I started a few years ago.

In the not yet started but have the yarn and pattern queue: Knit Picks pig washcloth for daughter (she has a thing for pigs), Knit Picks bear washcloth for son’s girlfriend (college mascot), scarflette for SIL, hat for oldest son, mitts for his girlfriend, hat/cowl/mitts set for Dad.

I have a cowl that I already finished and blocked for my other SIL, but haven’t yet figured out what to make for my daughter’s boyfriend (who is a super appreciative recipient). Hubby doesn’t get anything this year, but since he rarely wears hand knits, he won’t feel slighted.

Writing it down makes me realize how overcommitted I am (nothing new). I think I better return to my knitting…

4 Likes

That is a righteous collection of dishcloth makings. Soldier on! Frankly can’t believe you’re making 30 dishcloths, but admire this completely.

4 Likes

That is, indeed, a mighty list. But if you’re a test-knitter, you’ve probably got lightning speed, so I bet your list is completely do-able. Now I need to go and look at the things you’ve got in your queue. The washcloths sound darling.

2 Likes

So I didn’t put these items in my Ravelry queue yet, just my personal list at home. The washcloths are both free patterns from Knit Picks, by the way. The older son’s hat is my own design, a variant of the football shaped double beanie that Elizabeth Zimmerman and her daughter Meg made. I already made one for daughter’s boyfriend a few years back (labeled Harrison’s Sofa King Hat if you search my Rav projects).

2 Likes

OH dear. It’s like I went down the rabbit hole with Alice. I just found the Knit Picks 52 weeks of dishcloths, after doing just a few moments of ravelry-link-following. If that’s what you’re working from, it’s doubly delightful! And my start-itis is firing on all cylinders.

4 Likes

I’m in. Sister wants a sweater that’s a copy of one she has and loves and wears all the time, I have to try to make one just like it. Last year I did 2 blankets and a vest and a bunch of small things. This year everyone apart from my sister might have to get tiny things. I’ve yet to find inspiration for small knitted items for my coworkers, maybe everyone needs a pair of squad mitts.

2 Likes

I don’t usually knit for Christmas, as my job is very busy around then. Socks for DH are made and already in a drawer upstairs. I think he’s forgotten about them, despite seeing them every day while I was making them.
In the last year, two small girls have come into my life and I feel drawn to knit for them. I bought yarn and buttons for a cardigan in July. This gave me such a sense of achievement that I have overlooked the need to wave some sticks around for a few evenings and turn it into clothing. Perhaps this KAL will provoke some progress.

3 Likes

I’m in! I’ve been putting together yarn and patterns for some gifts. Mostly hats with a pair of mitts thrown in there too. I don’t usually like deadline knitting, but I’m excited about these projects. I have been doing a lot of baby gift knitting lately, and have been enjoying that as well.

2 Likes

Exactly one person in my life is knitworthy and also calendar conscious enough that she receives an annual knitted gift from me in December. This year it will be a small collection of face cloths or a face cloth and hand towel.

2 Likes

I’m in! I think I’m some combination of the groups you mentioned in your Knitalong post - as per usual for me, I can’t quite muster up a precise list of gifts to knit for the holidays, at least, not one I can commit to. So, I’ve sort of been doing the “knit what I want and then sort it out for gifts” plan as well as aiming to finish some wips in time to call them holiday gifts.
Here’s what I’ve got so far:

slipper socks for mother in law, niece, nephews, brother in law
shawl (in progress, almost finished, but need more yarn) for sister in law
sweater for Beloved (about 50% done)
socks for beloved (started, but at very beginning and been hibernating for WAY TOO LONG)
hat for nephew
sweater that i started and am not sure will work out for my mom. (that sounds like a horrible gift plan, doesn’t it? but it looks more and more like something she will like, and i will, um, not. for myself, i mean) - nearly done. button band and seaming to finish.
mukluk slipper socks for my grrl gang (that’s 3 pairs)

What I have on needles or on a queue to go in the “sort this out” later pile:
cabled hat
lace cowl
gilmore girls MKAL cowl run by Jimmy Beans Wool to be announced on Thanksgiving
architexture shawl
more slipper socks using up the bulky yarn i bought LAST winter for Holiday gifts that never got made.
colorwork fingerless mitts

Can I actually do this? Surely not. Am I willing to give it a whirl? YOU BETCHA.

8 Likes

I’m in. I want make a gift for a coworker who is having a rough year, my daughter because she appreciates it, and apparently for a friend of my daughter’s…

4 Likes

Now THIS is a juicy list. You want options, you know? You want to be able
to shift gears at any moment.

3 Likes

Ann: EXACTLY. gotta be able to move. always have an exit strategy. :wink:

4 Likes

I have one momentously huge size 14 sock to finish. Sock #1 is done, and I have been ignoring sock #2 because well, size 14!! And, I have made a solemn vow to never knit socks again for said size 14 feet, however, I have to finish this pair. As painful as that may be! That will close out my holiday knitting. I know, but I am not killing myself this year - I was smart and participated in #12daysofcastingon which gave me a basket of finished objects and I still have a couple of things left in the basket! Once that dratted sock is done, it will be all selfish knitting for me!

5 Likes