The Giftalong: A Knitalong for the Holidays

Any pictures of the Sol Lewitt scarf? I worked on an installation of his almost exactly twenty years ago. I would love to see the scarf.

I tend to have the same problem with socks. The heel comes out too tight! I am having the same problem with a pair I am knitting currently - And I found I don’t have enough yarn for two pairs (bought the yarn at thrift store) and so cannot gift them to anyone anyway! I am now going to use the sock for practice on a new heel turning method :slight_smile:

Kudos to you! Just remember, you deserve time to yourself as well!!

1 Like

I have a few projects in progress - some for me, some for gifts. I am trying not to knit all my gifts this year as I found it to be EXHAUSTING for me to juggle last year. So far I hope to make by Christmas:

• a pair of socks for my godmother (which she asked for since Easter)
  • a balaclava for my father who deer and turkey hunts

For me:

• testing out a hat pattern from @Nelnknits! So excited

So excited to get done the semster and really work on these WIPs!

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, so glad I found this, and just in time for the holidays too. I’m looking to finish some languishing WIPs in time for The Holidays, but finals are looming and my job is coming up on a deadline, so we will see how that works out haha…

Hopefully I can at least check in and be a cheerleader! Go knitters!

2 Likes

I’ll be your accountability partner if you will be mine! <3

1 Like

Aw, honey, I am PROFESSIONAL at self-care. :wink:

3 Likes

Just finished the adult-sized Hedgehog Mitts for my daughter.

I’m very happy with how they came out.

34 Likes

They are so very cute! I love the sparkle in your yarn - the perfect touch :slight_smile:

OH my word, yes please! I have got to stay on track, and if I can help someone else stay on track, the more the better. Hold on… shiny new patterns! One moment…
(see? I can’t be left alone with new knitting ideas!):dizzy:

What is the pattern for this? I like it, and am also knitting dishcloths for Christmas gifts (but not THIRTY of them!) A brief Ravelry search turned up nothing.

Luckily I was able to check my Rav projects and found the pattern info as I have forgotten who I have leant the book to… The pattern is called Fresh Persimmon http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fresh-persimmon
and is in the pattern book by Susan Robicheau titled Bright and Cheery Dishcloths http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/american-school-of-needlework-1446-bright-and-cheery-knit-dishcloths which looks to be downloadable for a very reasonable price. Beware, it is a very addictive pattern!

1 Like

These are great, and just perfect for a good friend who has a great collection of all things hedgehog/porcupine/echidna, but not mittens - so now an extra addition to my Chrissie knitting list!
(And coincidentally was just taking photos of a baby echidna walking past our lounge room window)

OMG. those are adorable!

I typically knit something for all the gals in my family. From the youngsters to the oldsters, all are burdened with my handmade giftiness! Everyone gets the same knitted item and something to go with it. Yes, there is a theme for each year! Past items have been spa cloths with fancy soaps, pot holders and dish cloths with wooden spoons, hats or ear warmers with fun sunglasses, chunky cable throw pillow with unique magazines or goofy DVD. Last year’s gift was my favorite … fingerless mitts with matching nail polish! They were even a hit with my 90 year old mom! Still undecided for this year - maybe chunky cowl and fun earrings or hot cocoa? Looking to you for inspiration.

5 Likes

I love this idea–a theme makes it so fun. Cowl would be brilliant, just
because everybody loves them so much.

2 Likes

The pattern is sized for a child age 7-10, so even if Chrissie has small hands, as my daughter does, you will need to size them up. I made a tracing of Kerry’s hands when she was in college and wanted a pair of hand knit gloves to wear inside mittens. Thank goodness I held onto that sheet of paper!

Just a warning: the pattern was not well tech edited. The stitch counts for the left mitt get a bit wonky (thumb placement and pattern stitch are off), but the right mitt is okay. Also, the decreases at the mitten tip are oddly placed, so you might want to even those out. If you have knit mittens before, you should be able to figure out the corrections.

I converted the pattern to knit in the round because I didn’t want any seams.

1 Like

Wow, thanks so much! A quick $4, and I have EIGHTEEN new dishcloth patterns! For me, that is a lifetime supply.

2 Likes

Those are adorable! Lovely. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I need a couple of hostess gifts and was trying to find a quick, useful project. Remembered I knit a bunch of mitered square hand towels with a button top. We have moved since then. Where was that pattern? Yes, in MDK’s 2nd book, Outside the Lines! Pattern is called Mitered Hanging Towel. Brought out my stash of cotton yarns and on my way to cool gifts! Looking back through both of your books brought back so many memories of projects knitted and gifted!!

3 Likes