The Great Botanica Knitalong

We’re all making Dee Hardwicke projects from Field Guide No. 25: Botanica. Colorwork is the sort of knitting that makes us feel a) creative, b) clever, and c) happy.These projects are all pretty much sunbeams of joy, so we hope you’ll join us.

Prizes afoot! We’ll be giving $50 MDK Gift cards to six random knitters, one for each design in the Field Guide. To be eligible, all you have to do is post your project (doesn’t have to be finished) right here in the Lounge or on Instagram with hashtag #MDKBotanicaKAL.

Dates: September 25 through December 11.

Yarns: Glorious MDK Atlas bundles for all 6 projects available via our lookbook. Or use your own yarn.

What’s the plan?

There are six glorious projects in Field Guide No. 25: Botanica ranging from a quick cowl to a throw for the ages. Choose your project to match your mood.
Treeline Cowl. Mood: Easy peasy.
Climbing Vine Mitts. Mood: My thumbs are chilly and could use a good snuggler.
Flora Arm Warmers. Mood: I’m not all that into thumb-oriented projects but I do love a warm wrist area.
Blossom Stripe Shawl. Mood: I haven’t knit stripes in ages. I love stripes!
Autumn Garden Stole. Mood: I am sophisticated person who is lacking a sophisticated wrap.
Cottage Throw. Mood: No project is too ambitious if I crave the result enough. I crave! I crave!

Watch our Zoom with Dee Hardwicke—she’s such a delight and inspiration.

9 Likes

I think I’m going to have to do that stripe shawl first (well after the treelined cowl class! :slight_smile: ).

4 Likes

I can’t wait to start the Cottage Throw! My kit has arrived but I’m not home so I have to wait. :frowning:

5 Likes

Welcome! I am starting with Climbing Vines. But am so eager to try the Cottage Throw. Think that will be my second endeavor. So, I look forward to hearing how you are doing!!

4 Likes

My Cottage Throw kit just arrived! the colors are gorgeous. I can’t wait to get swatching. I’ve never knitting stranded colorwork flat before (always in the round, steeked), but I’m going to try it this time. I love a good challenge!

2 Likes

I don’t think this qualifies because of the timeline but some inspiration to mix things up if you are so inclined!

14 Likes

I’m in! I’m coming up with my Cottage Throw color stories on the fly, but I will be making three panels with dark CCs against light backgrounds and three with light CCs against dark backgrounds. First up: Tutu and Leek on Whisper.
cbs cottage throw panel 1

9 Likes

I’m making the throw too! Welcome to the Lounge, Norma!

2 Likes

If, like me, you’re putting together your own color palettes of Atlas or other yarns for the KAL, you might like some color-picking advice from two experts: Boost Your Knitting: Choosing Colors for Stranded Colorwork - Modern Daily Knitting

2 Likes

I’ve never knitted colorwork flat. Feeling a little intimidated by it but I’m always interested in learning new techniques. Cutting my Kaffe Fassett throw was scary but also exciting.

5 Likes

I think I’d like to tackle the Climbing Vine Mitts and will start considering colors today.

3 Likes

I haven’t either, but I’m thinking it can’t be too tricky? Hopefully I’m right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m in! Blossom Stripe Shawl - lover of stripes, not always a lover of colorwork so this project is perfect opportunity to use colorwork, experience the Dee Hardwicke design genius, but stay in my happy stripey place. Created an Atlas color palette to go with favorite winter wardrobe colors. Had to restart due to lack of attention to pattern details - 5 rows of garter for the 321 cast on stitches is NOT the same as 6 rows of seed stitch - my zeal to get a new project underway can overrule paying attention - all good now :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Ha! I’ve done that too! :smiley: no worries!

1 Like

All ready for workshop with Lorilee. Looking forward to it

5 Likes

As soon as I finish the shawl I’m working on, I am CO this for the workshop as well! (I have a garter stitch border–hoping to knock it out tomorrow. :))

1 Like

I love your colors!

2 Likes

OK I have ordered my “Bosc” shawl kit and can’t wait to CO!

2 Likes

Climbing Vine Mitts, as arm warmers…

12 Likes

So good @nellknits. I love them. I may make a pair with my atlas leftovers!

1 Like