About Pattern Talk

We are huge fans of the knitting process. Watching a project from start to finish is one of the best ways to improve your skills, discover new ideas, and gain inspiration. We’re starting with a few patterns that leave a lot of room for experimentation.

This is a field of Rowan felted tweed aran in Clay. My first sweater, first attempt at waist and bust shaping. The crew neck cabled sweater from Fit to Flatter. So excited to see whether I can fit it well! Banging out a sweater at last!

2 Likes

Hey – I’m working on the never fail muffler – love the comic strip format! I’m a bit confused on the pattern. I cast on 16 sts, go up to 24 via the start up row, and then should I have 24 sts at the end of every row? Where am I putting the yo in the second row? after the slipped st or with the k2tog? Or both? Argh.

How’d It turn out? I want to really learn sweater knitting and am planning to finally use that book for my first pulli in decades! Even tho I may chicken out and do the vest/cardi pattern first.

1 Like

Amy Herzog is a wonderful guide through the land of sweater making. The sleeves are worth it! A few other sources of inspiration include fruityknitting.com. Andrea has a few episodes that really walk you through measuring yourself and adjusting a pattern. And if you’re zaftig like me, you may want to check out Maggie Righetti’s Knitting in Plain English/Sweater Design in Plain English because she talks through short row bust darts. Game. Changer.

BTW, pulli is such cute slang! May I ask where you live? I am in Saint Paul, Minnesota, US, and I plan to adopt that word immediately!

1 Like

Thanks so much! I have Amy’s first book and also Knitting in Plain English. I guess I just need to take the plunge!! Yes, I look like you! Thanks so much for the info. Funny, I assumed everyone used pulli! Go for. It! Sadly I am many miles away from hou in NYC.

Love that pulli you’re wearing!!!

Dear MDK peeps, Can anyone suggest a good top down yoked sweater pattern for a man? I’d prefer to work top down rather than bottom up and I am too scared to convert a pattern. Thanks!