Return to MDK

First sweater - Destination Pullover?

A good morning to all…

A beginning knitter, at 72 years I’ve had a steep learning curve. Yep, I’m heading into uncharted personal knitting territory. My question is, would the Destination Pullover be a good sweater pattern to start with?

I’ve done a few Fair Isle projects, cowls, hats, shawls, scarves, mosaic colorwork, Rib/Lace Scarf, etc., and am excited to learn new techniques. I do love that sweater, but am open to any advice given. I’ve looked at Tin Can Knits Flax sweater and was ready to begin that until I saw the Destination Pullover. A big temptation is that wonderfully rustic Lettlopi yarn and those amazing colors…who could resist?

Thanks so much for your advice.

6 Likes

I have not knit either but based on your description I think you will be fine.

2 Likes

I think you would be fine, but don’t skip doing a swatch and take your measurements too. Those seem to be the two things that people skip and then are disappointed when the sweater doesn’t turn out as they wished.

4 Likes

Thank you both for your replies and observations.

1 Like

i’ve been knitting for a while – but mostly small projects not clothing. I’m beginning with some small practice projects using the jaunty beanie and destination scarf. I was debating on the destination pull over - but I’ve opted to start with the Stopover Sweater by the same author. I also have a baby size flax sweater in progress – just working the sleeves – that is a really easy pattern. Good luck.

3 Likes

Oh Yes! Go for the Destination Pullover and the Lopi!

1. a sweater on size 10 (or 6 mm, depending on where you live) will go super fast, and that’s always gratifying. The shoulder is a drop style which is flattering on most people as opposed to a circular yoke, and has a small seam which gives it stability. This is a good choice!
  2. The yarn! I haven’t used Lopi before and it’s really fun. I just did my 2 pockets for swatches. Since you’ve done Fair Isle before you’ll be amazed at its sticky quality for the colorwork.
    Good luck!
4 Likes

jazzypenny & jpatrash…thank you so much for the encouragement and details re. my Destination Pullover questions. The more I look at sweater patterns the more possibilities I find. I’m at the point where (as with most things) I have to commit to one pattern and go for it. Thank you again.

3 Likes