Destination Pullover for Humble Beginner

Hoping desire, YouTube and some help here and there will assist me on my way with the Destination Pullover, one question at a time. I have no experience with DPNs, pockets nor sweater construction. What is the purpose of knitting the pocket linings on DPNs? I have read the pattern and think I am to knit them flat, leave them on the needle, and then knit them into the body of the sweater at a later time. Is that correct?
Thank you!

3 Likes

You don’t have to knit the linings on the DPNs, (which are knit back and forth) but IMO it’s handy to have them right there and ready to attach at pocket time.
We are here to encourage you, welcome!

1 Like

Thank you, Nellknits. I have knitted along as far as I can for now, just short of the pocket placement and await my next shipment of Lettlopi. Photo reveals my tendency to wander off from patterns, recipes, directions. I am loving this.

This morning’s Trinket mitten video was helpful, as was your post and encouragement. I am astounded by the vast and vibrant knitting community I have found since becoming a yarn junkie last fall. Such a joy. Thanks again.

5 Likes

I agree about the trinket mitten video! Your sweater looks great so far, and on the subject of double pointed needles, a friend of mine, a very new knitter, just completed a hat in the round, and at the end had a very successful first try with dpns! She was worried that they’d fall out and that it would be too fiddly.

1 Like

Thanks JM. I am having a blast on what I hope will be the ultimate Pacific Northwest garden sweater. My second attempt with DPNs this afternoon and first I-cord casting on the Bodhi Leaf. How great it is to learn all these new things!

3 Likes

@mjbialik Welcome! You’ll find all the help you need here. hmm…is that Lagoon you’re using? and Spring Green? Two of my choices as well.

1 Like

Good morning Virginiamae and thank you. Did you knit this sweater? I would love to see a photo. Spring Green is correct, the other color is Bottle Green (I think). My camera did not quite catch the yarn’s deep green and rare specks of bright blue. Very pretty and such a pleasure to knit with this grabby yarn. Quite sure I am knitting in pet and human hair and occasional plant material. All the better for a gardening sweater.

2 Likes

No, actually I made the Daytripper with Lagoon as the main color. I have about a kilo of Lagoon here! There are so many beautiful colors available, and endless possibility. I’m making another as a vest with Milky Way as MC and substituting my own colorwork design, and the result looks totally different while using all the same colors.

And truly, everything I knit could be certified 3% dog hair!

7 Likes

Wow. Thank you for the photos. The cardigan is just perfect. And, the vest color work is so very, very beautiful! I am knitting along on faith, so far, so good. Learning, learning, everyday. Working up the back shaping armholes, shoulders and neckline. Taking a little breather and making a few Bodhi leaf wash cloths for calm.

5 Likes

Looking lovelyđź’š