Bang Out a Sweater 2020: Main Squeeze Cardigan

We’ll help you through, Sherri! We offer our patterns in a full range of sizes, so that everybody can make them. This means we have a bunch of numbers in there—just circle your size and you’ll get through it.

4 Likes

Great name for a bulky yarn! #yiddishjokes!

1 Like

Casting on! Using the Big Wool yarn but a different pattern - the easy bulky sweater on ravelry.

4 Likes

I’m in, and so excited!! My instructor at Monday classes at Spinning Yarns on Dover NH is helping me learn how to knit this to fit the foibles of my body. Blooming with hope. I’m using Big Wool in Mallard. My “Swatch Pocket” and 1st sleeve in progress…
20200201_105956|666x500

7 Likes

It is SO on! I couldn’t wait so I cast on the first sleeve last night but only knit about 6 inches before going to bed. Well, breakfast is over, fresh coffee is by my cozy chair and the needles are waiting. I decided to go with Premiere acrylic in a dark gray and it feels lovely with none of the crackle or squeak of a lot of acrylics and with my sweet husband doing a lot of the laundry these days, I don"t have to worry about it. I will see how a sleeve feels to see if I like the size, less to think that way

4 Likes

I am just beginning the sweater and have an immediate question. For the sleeves do I cast on 24 stitches( I’m using the 41-43size) across three needles or 24/30/32 over the three dpneedles. This sounds so stupid but I feel like I completely confused myself. Thanks for your help.

3 Likes

Really happy to hear this! Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck!

1 Like

Sleeve first is such a great way to see how it’s going to look. It also means you can zoom through the body without sleeve dread!

3 Likes

You’re doing the 3rd size so go through the pattern and circle or highlight the instructions for the 3rd size and draw a line thru every number that follows. Ignore the rest of the numbers & parentheses that follow. Hope this makes sense @Joanparris

2 Likes

Hi Joan!

Totally good question! The pattern has a ton of numbers, a lot to navigate.

For your size, it’s just 24 stitches to cast on. The other numbers you mention (if I’m understanding your question correctly) are for other sizes of the pattern, so ignore those.

Throughout the pattern, whenever you see a string of numbers, you’ll want to circle the third number from the left. That’s your size.

Hope this helps—let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Likes

Hi- I’m in!!! I think. I’m going to need to put buttons and button holes for closure. I live on Cape Cod and it gets windy and cold. Any advice on how to do this? Also should I make sure there’s room to overlap the front in order to button… Many thanks for your help. I"m looking forward to this adventure.

1 Like

I had the same problem. Now I use a fine line highlighter to indicate which number of stitches I need.

Thanks so for starting the sleeve I divide the 24 over three needles?

2 Likes

Thanks that’s what I thought but then began overthinking it😜

2 Likes

Greetings from across the bay. I would look at how some already done fit. It looks to me like you might be fine, but depends on how much overlap you want.

I know, right! It is lovely to work with b

Yep! You got it. And use the fourth needle for knitting, held in the right hand as you begin knitting each dpn.

(I just want to know who invented dpns. What a concept!)

3 Likes

On the section for shaping yoke and front neck, for sizes other than the two smallest in row 2, it has BO 3 sts, work to end (-,-) sts. What does that mean? Thanks.

1 Like

146/4= 36.5 If you want a finished cardi of 38" or below you can knit the number of stitches for a larger size, but the lengths of your size. LMK if this works.

OR are you asking for a similar shape pattern already written at your gauge??

1 Like

This is a great question. You will cast on 24 stitches, the 3rd number - or the middle of the first set of parentheses.
While so many numbers are a little overwhelming, it’s awesome that MDK is offering a very broad range of sizes to cover almost every body.

2 Likes