Bang Out a Sweater 2020: Main Squeeze Cardigan

Similar question! I’m a 36" bust but only 5’0"!
I want to seriously shorten it. Mid-hip length. This will be my first attempt at a sweater. My biggest question is actually how many skeins of Studio Chunky I should buy. I’m thinking 7? That brown is calling my name!

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying, but my concern is that cotton thick enough to make gauge would be too weighty. Maybe a cottony blend?
I did an advanced search on Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/search#gauge=10|10&fiber-content=cotton&sort=best&view=thumblist
I hope that this helps.

4 Likes

Because of the length and shape, think about your hips, too.
I’d probably recommend the next size up as you’ll probably have a layer or two underneath it.

3 Likes

I’m also leading a KAL at my local shop in Norfolk VA, BaaBaa Sheep - Thursdays from 5-7

4 Likes

If anyone is looking for less expensive yarn, I found that Cascade Lana Grande is a very good substitute. I used it for the Brambleberry Cowl.

13 Likes

Ditto. @Kbaird12 I also often put the underarm stitches on a long circular needle. That makes it super easy to knit them without twisting when the time comes. For 4 stitches in bulky yarn it may not be necessary.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. Wish I were there.

I’ll be winding and swatching for my pullover tonight.

Last STF club shipment.

9 Likes

We wish you were here too

2 Likes

Awwwwww. Thank you. Have fun.

I never can figure out “posting.” I’m good at replying, which feels like butting in to someone else’s conversation. But I’m here to say that I have the pattern, I can’t start until Tuesday, but I’m banging out a Main Squeeze and hope to make it into a pullover!

7 Likes

The number of sizes and all the parentheses and commas makes this pattern nearly impossible to follow! I already screwed up the first sleeve! :rage:

1 Like

May I suggest you highlight or circle the instructions for your size all the way thru the pattern;)

9 Likes

If you go through the pattern and circle or highlight your size numbers it does make it much easier to follow. I also use a sticky note to the side of the pattern for notes to help keep track of just where I am.
Welcome to the KAL!

9 Likes

I am subbing Cascade Anthem in Chunky and my gauge is 4 sts to the inch. Is there a pattern to this gauge. I think I can figure it out but would appreciate help. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know!

Once I decide on a size, I highlight and/or circle (with colored ink) the size I’m knitting. That way when I get to the page 3… instructions, I don’t forget or have to recount. This time I even did that on the schematic so I’ll stop second guessing myself!

5 Likes

4 st per inch seems really tight, especially for this sweater. The recommended gauge is 10st over 4 inches (in stockinette as well as in the sand stitch) so about 2.5st over 1"?

I’m not an expert by any means, but I’d be worried this would be way too small.

4 Likes

Thank you! I have done exactly that. It is like following a needle thru a haystack!

2 Likes

I think this will be about the fabric. If you do a decent sized swatch and like the fabric, it could be fine. Then see if there is a size that gets you close with the math for your size. This is a pretty oversized sweater so a tiny bit off won’t matter, but at your gauge you definitely cannot follow the pattern for your size as written

1 Like