Best acrylic baby yarn and patterns

For me it is totally dependent on the pattern. Sorry not to be more helpful than that.

1 Like

I’ve knit blankets for all my nieces and nephews, and grand-nieces and nephews, too. NEVER in acrylic - not snobbery, but because acrylic is flammable. There are so many pretty baby blanket patterns out there. I just bought a new copy of Leisure Arts “Our Best Knit Baby Afghans-33 Fun-to-Knit Designs Fashioned in Soft Pastels,” having completely worn out my first copy.

2 Likes

My favorite yarn to use for baby blankets. Very practical for the parents and reasonably priced!

1 Like

Currently making the Lee Blanket - easily memorized cable plus rib pattern that is totally reversible. Using Berroco Ultra Wool DK which is machine washable.

1 Like

I love Ella Rae Cashmerino Sport for baby sweaters. 55% Merino, 33% Acrylic and 12% Cashmere. Machine washable and dribble and soft. It comes in lots of colors too. I use Ella Rae organic cotton for my babies that live in warmer climes. Also machine washable.

3 Likes

Berroco Comfort DK, and regular Comfort are wonderful baby yarns, with the DK coming in lovely self-striping combos that will repeat often enough to nake baby stuff.

Fair Isle superwash wool is another totally fun self-striping yarn in color change lengths that suit baby wear.

And, a note to Ann—acrylics and polyesters are the materials in kids sleepwear. They will melt eventually, but not flame readily. Quality modern synthetic yarns don’t pill readily, either. Guess you haven’t tried them in awhile.

2 Likes

Such a cutie! Not a fan of garter but this looks like something I may try. Thank you for the idea.

1 Like

3 Likes

Two in blue

I didn’t bother with the button flap and buttonhole on the back this time. It’s a boat neck and is plenty big enough to go over the baby’s head without it. My niece said she never unbuttoned the button to put it on or take it off. So on these I put some buttons on the front for decoration.

1 Like

The patterns mentioned are lovely, but I do not knit baby blankets that have yarn overs for babies to put their fingers through to get caught…leaned this when I owned a yarn store from customers.

1 Like