Field guide 14 Twining wrap

Please tell me if I’m reading the key wrong. A solid white square=knit & a square with a dot=purl. Shouldn’t this read solid white=knit on RS/purl on WS. & square with dot=purl on RS & Knit on WS

I had the same problem reading the chart at first. The words explain it and your thinking is correct. The chart is showing you only the right side of the wrap, so what looks like a knit stitch is a pearl on the wrong side. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Right side rows are uneven numbers and are read right to left, wrong side rows are all even numbers and are read left to right. Your assumption is correct about the plain and dotted squares. Have fun knitting!

Wrong side rows are: work stitches as they appear. If as you are getting ready to knit a wrong side row look at your stitches. If it looks like a knit - knit it. If it looks like a purl, purl it. When you get to the YO you always work it thru the back loop to close up the hole. It just depends on which cable panel you’re creating stitches for whether you knit it or purl it. Look it up in the words until you get the feel for it. You can do this.

Your advice above was very valuable. But I am still confused how to know what to do with yo in section B ws rows 66-88. Should I refer to the increase chart to know when to p1-tbl on ws and or k1-tbl on ws?

I read the written out rows for the increase chart. It only changes to knit thru back loop if you’re adding stitches for the twisted cable panel. It’s always purl thru back loop for the padded cable and diagonal cable panels. Hope this helps. You can do it.

1 Like

So, if I’m thinking right I want the yarn overs to appear as a knit on the RS. Because I am growing the stockinette area on an angle ??? I appreciate your help so much !

1 Like

Yes, exactly right I believe. What you are doing is building the stockinette, as you said, not an increase panel. I was also confused about this. So for each yarn over on the wrong side, you purl into the back loop. You are building the foundation for another large cable, rather than a twisted cable as you did in the increase panel. Thanks for your question - it helped me clarify the same issue for myself.

1 Like