Field Guide 22: Grace Knitalong!

Thank you for responding. One problem is that the buttonholes for the back panel are already in place and, therefore, won’t match the front panels. I’m probably overthinking this, especially since no one else has expressed having problems with this issue.

1 Like

I just finished this. I just need to block it. I followed the pattern exactly as written. It seems to fit fine. I wouldn’t say that I have broad shoulders but they are probably considered average. I love it and will use it a lot this winter. Good luck. I’m sure yours will be fine too.

6 Likes

Congratulations, it’s just lovely!

1 Like

Hi, sorry for the late response. I did not leave room for shoulder or neck shaping, just trusting in the fact that the soft fabric will meld into the shape that I want. I have not blocked it yet, basically, for that reason. I wanted to wear it a bit, and consider which direction I wanted it to adjust, in blocking. The first button hole on the front is very very high, unlike other garments that I’ve had. I think perhaps that is a design element to allow it to be worn back to front as it suggested as an alternative way to use it. (Anyone with interesting ideas in those permutations, I’d love to hear from you.)
I agree that having the front button holes match the sides was important to me. I figured I could always leave the top one undone, I don’t know how this will all go, but it’s a fun experiment.

4 Likes

Thank you for responding! I decided to follow the directions as written and to not overthink it. Your comments helped.

3 Likes

I’m so glad. I actually wore it this morning, with a turtleneck, and really loved it. I left the top button open, and it’s actually very pretty to see the button there. (I found some beautiful mother of pearl like buttons that are in a harmonious green.)

I still haven’t blocked it, but my dining room table is covered with Thanksgiving. It will have to wait another week. And I’m wearing it anyway!

4 Likes

It’s not you 2littletime! I actually had to take my Grace pullover to my LYS because I wasn’t understanding the body instructions either. The bit where you join in the round and M1L for the center stitch. Say what? The ladies at the shop were mystified as well, and said as written you wouldn’t be able to MIL. So they did an “ear loop” cast on for the M1L. The first two lines of instruction for joining in the round (Rnd 1 and Rnd 2) made no sense to them either. But they got me on my way. I guess this is what “intermediate” pattern means, they expect you to know things!

2 Likes

This is the last one, I promise! Wearing my Gossamer to my SIL’s for the festivities. The daylight shows the color much better. Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate in the US.

13 Likes

Looks great! Happy thanksgiving :turkey::maple_leaf::plate_with_cutlery:

2 Likes

I’m making Grace notes in “Mouse”, too - I love the color but want to petition to change the name to Deer!! :relaxed:

1 Like

Ooh, I love this! In addition to the blue I think I have to make it in these colors, too!

1 Like

Yes, deer or maybe fawn? Hope your project is going well. I put mine aside for a while and need to get back to it!

2 Likes

Moving beg of round at end of body question:
Now that I could finally decide how long to knit the body of my Grace Notes Pullover, it is out of it’s ‘time out’ and I’m nearly done with the body. I might be overthinking the instructions for the last round and where the ‘new beg-of-round’ marker will be . . . “ending final round at last marker before beg-of-round marker”
My penultimate marker is the end of the last cable on the back, so that’s the new beginning of round, correct?!?

Fawn is a brilliant name idea!

Mine went into time out when I got to the listed body length and knew I wanted to lengthen it but couldn’t decide how much and I’ve finally decided and zipping along again. It has been a really enjoyable knit!

1 Like

Post a picture! I need to get back to it😊

Here’s my Grace Notes in Mouse (don’t think about mice, ick) so far - a little over an inch to go for the length I decided on (finally) for the body! Loving this project.

5 Likes

Dawn, could you please explain to me how the joining of the fronts and back work? I think I’m meant to knit across the left front, join the back, work across the back, join the right side of the right front and knit to the end (middle) do not join. Then I work WS/RS back and forth until the increases are done, and then I join in the middle. Is that correct? Thanks in advance…

1 Like

Grace Note in Mouse. I had put this aside for a while, silly me. I’m getting back to it and hoping the finished project will be a success (fit me!)

7 Likes

Your Gossamer is lovely! I just finished mine in scarlet, which seems appropriate for the season, and am a little disappointed. The size I chose (small, a size 4 in clothing) is too small to button the front up and the sides gaped. My solution was to leave the buttons on the sides, but to stitch the sides closed to eliminate the gaps. This worked beautifully. The botton holes for the front were sewn closed, but I kep the buttons on for design purposes. I will wear and enjoy it, but it won’t ever be worn buttoned up! I may post it at some point. Enjoy wearing your beautiful and warm vest!

6 Likes

Seaming up the side is a great idea!!! I may do that! I do love it but clearly I should have made the next size up. It travels well and is a really versatile piece. Thank you for your kind words and your great idea!!!

3 Likes