Field Guides question

Are the patterns in field guides written for all forms of knitting? I like knitting magic loop for almost all of my projects. For example, the sock knitting field guide. Is it written for using dpns? I’m a fairly new knitter and find some patterns don’t translate well to magic loop. But maybe I’m missing something? Thanks for your help!

4 Likes

Hi Patricia. Welcome to the lounge. You’re going to like it. So I pulled up my copy of Wanderlust and although some of the patterns specify dpns, they are all adaptable to whatever your preferred method of knitting in the round. You can do this!

The lounge is also a great place to be as a new knitter. If you want to try something new, just toss it here in the lounge and a bunch of folks will jump in to help. We have about a million years of experience between the whole crowd here and if someone doesn’t know the answer to your question, someone else will!

Welcome aboard!

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I’m really enjoying MDK and will definitely tap into all of the help and experience.

2 Likes

I notice that the color explosion throw bundle has 25 balls of yarn but I think the pattern in the guide calls for 2 each. I’d be interested in any info/thoughts on why that is? Just wondering.

I met a new knitter yesterday and she has started her knitting career at 85 years old! Her first knitting project is SOCKS! She’s pretty fearless and said she finds most of her answers to knitting questions on you tube. What an inspiration she was. When discussing her socks, she said that she can’t get even tension. I asked her what needles she was using and she said 5 dpns. I suggested she try a different method of knitting with either 2 circs or magic loop. It was hard to explain a how to for these other methods to her, but she did get the idea of that she didn’t have to use dpns - she had a lot of complaints about them: laddering, tension, losing stitches, etc. I did suggest also, Wanderlust, since it is a basic constructon and goes through options available to knitters.

2 Likes

We’re never too old and it’s never too late, right? I just finished my first pair of socks as well. I chose a sort of sparkly blue yarn for fun. When I was done I put them on my feet and admired what I was able to accomplish. It was really fun, and they actually fit!

I learned to knit when I was a young girl, but my stitches were always too tight on my needles so I gave it up and crocheted for the next 40 years. Secretly I always loved the way knitting looked. I had knitting envy, assuming I couldn’t do it. Last year I decided to give it a try again and jumped on you tube.

Since then, it’s been knitting all the way with magic loop. I can’t really put my finger on why I love it more than crocheting, but I do. The yarn, the patterns, the rhythm.

1 Like

Ann let me know that the bundle is correct, not the FG. Check the bundle page for the correct number of skeins of each color; there are two of some but three of others, totaling 25.

Thanks. That is helpful when thinking about putting together another bundle! Although I shouldn’t be worrying about this since I am just contemplating finally starting my aperture stole, so there you are! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I am also a magic loop person so I just use markers to indicate needle 1, needle 2, etc and then the pattern works fine.

My current socks use one of the stitch patterns from the Field Guide in a mash up with Susan Anderson’s How I Make My Socks pattern - because I like it.

Next up is socks knit entirely out of the field guide.

3 Likes

This is a good visual for me. When I learned thru you tube I couldn’t quite figure out why she had 3 markers. One for middle of the heel, two for each side of sock. At first I thought “you don’t need all of those markers”. But I quickly realized the error of my ways and went back and placed them in. I do with this with recipes too. Always questioning, never just following the directions or the recipe. Sometimes that’s a “recipe “ for disaster!

1 Like