Question about socks

Can you use DP needles instead of Magic Loop in a sock pattern? And if so do you have to adjust it in anyway. I’ve tried magic loop a few times and it ended in frustration just have a mental block! I’ve just mastered socks and want to try some with a pattern!

2 Likes

Hi! Yes- you can absolutely use DPNs instead of the magic loop method when knitting socks. As fas as I know, in my limited sock knitting experience, you don’t have to adjust anything either. I actually switched to DPNs when doing the heel because I couldn’t wrap my head around doing all the various decreases/short rows with the magic loop method. Happy knitting!

3 Likes

Another option is to try 2 circulars instead of DPNs or magic loop. I find this much easier (and harder to lose a circular needle than a DPN).

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m going to try a pair with lovely textured pattern!

1 Like

No changes needed! I’ve tried magic loop and two circulars, but DPN is still my favorite. I use four around, you can use three but I found I tended to get ladders when I did that.

3 Likes

Hi fellow knitters – I have found the perfect shoes (Currently on Sale!) for sock knitters:

I haven’t entered the sock rabbit hole yet, but intend to one of these days.

3 Likes

You certainly can, and don’t have to change much, just split the stitches between the three or four needles you’ll be working on. That’s how I learned, and I switch back and forth between dpns and magic loop. Oh, the beauty of knitting!

3 Likes

Thank you!! I hadn’t thought of using 4 DPN though I think I’ve figured out getting rid of the ladders by pulling really tight in the first stitches on each needle.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh! It those were flat bottomed instead of having that heel, I’d be very tempted! Although not really so practical if there is snow…:grin:

1 Like

Using 4 DPNs and knitting with a 5th reduces ladders a lot I’ve found. I’m a heel flap and gusset sock knitter myself. Good luck with your socks and have fun.

1 Like

I also use two circulars for socks. I’m also trying Mini circular needles, which are the circumference of the cuff but I think when I get to the gusset and heel I will need to switch back to two needles. I have not tried knitting toe down yet. I will eventually. I’ve used DPN’s but try to use them minimally. DPN’s are the old school way for socks before circular needles.

2 Likes

I use DPN because: 1) I like them, 2) It makes me feel connected to the generations of sock knitters before me, and 3) It breaks the sock down to manageable bits. I only am knitting with 2 needles at a time, the other 3 are just hanging out holding the rest of the stitches and waiting for their turns. I’ve done magic loop. I’m not all that interested in having extra circs hanging down and trying to keep from screwing the whole thing up or pulling the wrong end, or a number of other ways I could manage to mishandle everything. If they work for you, enjoy using them and your socks when they’re finished. But please don’t look down your nose and criticize my preferences in that condescending tone Sue_Jung. Rant over.

Absolutely you can use DPNs - I knit a LOT of socks, and that’s what I always use.

2 Likes

Algaebloom, if you tighten the SECOND stitch at the beginning of each needle, rather than the first, it eliminates the ladder problem completely.

4 Likes

Sure thing! I’ve knit 40+ pairs of socks, all on DPNs. They’re the only way to go!!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m still a beginner and finding my groove. I like a short heel it’s simple! But I still get these holes at the rejoining part.

Like others, I have knit many pairs of socks, prefer using 5 total DPNs (stitches on 4, 1 to knit), after having tried other ideas. I prefer bamboo DPN needles that don’t slide out of yarn so readily. I also prefer 7” needles to the shorter ones, for same reason. I use short row heels always, as they are more comfy to me. As to holes when you start picking the stitches back up, remember you have explicit permission to lift and create either 1 OR 2 Extra stitches in the gap and knit them together to close the hole. I have found lifting up an extra stitch is often needed right before you rejoin all the other stitches on the front side of the sock. And you can do a lift/create on the next round if that didn’t fix it.

My 2008-era socks are still being worn, washed and worn.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips! I thought knitting that extra stitch was the answer! NowI have permission. :grin::grin:

1 Like

Glad to help as I was helped along my knitted path. :smile_cat:

Jenna

1 Like