Joining Afghan Squares

My daughter wanted an afghan. She chose the Simply Alpaca aran weight yarn from KnitPicks, 100% superfine alpaca in three natural shades and showed me a picture of one she liked. We came up with a design made up of 42 squares, each 8” by 8” (theoretically), and I thought it would be fun to do a variety of stitch patterns . . . I didn’t consider how some would have drastically different gauges, so I wound up remaking several of them. On each block I used a long tail cast on, a knit stitch for the first and last stitch of each row, and regular style bind off.

I’m finally finished with all the squares and ready to block and join them. I’m considering using a crochet slip stitch join rather than a whip or bickford stitch, since it seems a little sturdier and neater due to the lightweightness of the yarn. I was thinking I would join 6 squares for each row (5 vertical joins per row), and then join each of the 7 rows together (so 6 big horizontal joins).

Any advice, especially about joining techniques and whether it’s better to join them first in columns will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million (like the number of years it feels like I’ve been working on this!)

~ Kim H.

3 Likes

It will be beautiful. I did a sampler afghan years ago with squares that also “should” have been the same size and did a slip stitch crochet join as well. It has held up super well. If helpful, I clipped the squares together and did the same number of stitches between markers/clips, to keep the crochet lines similar sized for all. That way it did not matter how many stitches there were, I just did “x” between each of the markers.

1 Like

Thank you! I tried to post this several weeks ago and when it didn’t show up I just figured it had gotten lost in the internet stratosphere. I just gave it a whirl and it’s working pretty well. I’ve been using those amazing clips MDK introduced me to, but haven’t been as precise as you in using the same number of chains per block - just trying to keep the stitches loose enough so that the seams stay as flat as possible. At this point I’m just glad it’s coming together!

It’s a little wonky and slightly puckery at some of the seams. I don’t want to block the entire thing when it’s done, so I’m thinking I can just try to steam the seams a little flatter in places? Any thoughts on that?

Also I’m planning to do a double crochet edge around the whole afghan once the squares are all together and I’ve steamed it a little, to give it a little more structure. If I’d had a little more experience with this light-weight floppy yarn before I started this I probably would have opted to knit it all in one piece . . . But at this point I figure it’s gonna be bunched up on her lap when in use and she’ll love it even if it’s a little wonky in a few places!

Thanks again for any advice and for all your encouragement! ~ Kim

attaching a picture of the front side, and then the back showing the chain seams

7 Likes

In case you are interested in seeing mine…… Ravelry: sabograd's Learn to knit Afghan

Wow, that’s an amazing afghan! Turned out beautiful. I loved reading your progress notes - it was a great rendition of exactly what I’ve been going through! It’s been in the works for 4 years. I’m relieved to be at the point of realization that it’s just gonna get done like this or it will never get done, and hopefully she’ll love it, warts and all.

Her birthday is the beginning of May and we’re heading up to visit, so I’m forsaking all other wip until this is done!

Thanks for sharing and thanks again for your help!

2 Likes

Thanks, it was on her bed all through childhood and now is with her as she is about to graduate from college! It was a labor of love as I know yours is too! I cannot wait to see the final product!

3 Likes