Team Blanket No. 3: For a New Immigrant to the U.S

Your Team Leader is Sarah Gluck. Please watch here for details from Sarah about this project.

1 Like

count me in!

2 Likes

Hi Sarah, I’d love to make a square.

1 Like

Happy to make a square too!

Count me in!

Me, too. In October, I’m headed to Dilley, Texas to volunteer as a translator at the detention center there. I’m hoping that I can help people who are trying to immigrate, so making a square for a new immigrant is right up my alley.

9 Likes

Hi Everyone!
Thank you for your interest! I’m so excited to get started on this project with you all. All squares will be a part of one (or more!) blankets that will be mailed to the Welcome Blanket project.

The details:
Together we will be knitting Ann and Kay’s beautiful Mitered Crosses Pattern which I can email to you once you jump on board. If this seems a bit daunting please say so and we’ll figure out a pattern for your square that you are comfortable with.

If you need a pattern please send me your email address or email me at: sarahrgluck@gmail.com. When you have finished your square (wonderful!) let me know and I’ll email you my mailing address.

Some nitty gritty details:

1. Please use worsted weight machine washable yarn.

2. Pick colors that inspire you! Stick to a solid color for the outside and something bright or color-changing for the inside. It is fun to see what people come up with and how it comes together :slight_smile:

3. The gauge is approx. 20sts and 20 rows (20 garter ridges) = 4" (10cm) in garter stitch

4. Each square should be 11.2" x 11.2" (28.5cm)

5. Please mail the squares to me by 8/24.

6. Finishing: I do request that you weave in ends and block the squares. This will make finishing for me 100000x easier. And I absolutely will appreciate it.

Take lots of pictures to share with us, your Team (and with Ann and Kay)! Use the hashtag #MDKteamblanket for Instagram. It will be fun to see your squares as you knit them up and everybody’s blankets coming together.

Please be in touch with me if you have any questions and I’m so looking forward to embarking on this blanket journey with you!

3 Likes

I’d like to make a square too!

Got the pattern. Thanks for doing this.
S.

1 Like

Hi Sarah and All,

As the child of immigrants, I am grateful for your willingness to do this, and honored to make a square.
I already have the pattern and am excited to stash dive and get started.
Thanks,
Mary

2 Likes

I would like to help.

Thanks for organizing us, Sarah. How about colors - do you have preference or guidance? Dark center or light? I’m thinking washable, but what fiber?

Thanks Sarah, great idea! I would love to help but there is no way I can get it done by the 24th. Let me know if it will go later, or if you do a second blanket.

I can make one. Thanks for doing this. What is the address we are sending our square to?

I just bought the pattern. Nice the proceeds are being donated to charity.

Let us know whether the yarn should be washable or it doesn’t matter and if we should do dark in the middle or the outside…or if you don’t care! :slight_smile:
thanks

1 Like

Hi Sarah,
I’d love to make a square and can meet the 8/24 deadline if I can get started right away. Please advise what fiber and colors to use. Are you emailing the pattern or do I need to buy it on Ravelry? Thank you,
Jennifer

I’d like to help out and knit a square. Wondering about fiber as others have asked. Will assume wool. THank you so much for coordinating this!!
Elaine

May I have the pattern please? As the child of immigrants this is important!

I would like to make a square. Thanks for organizing this!

I’d love to make a square. Please send any specifics on color preferences so we can jump right into making! (And thank you so much for coordinating!)