Team Blanket No. 6: For Pittsburgh

Terri S. will be your team leader. Please watch here for more information from her about this project.

7 Likes

I’m in! I’m in! I’m in!

3 Likes

Looking forward to the details -

1 Like

Dear Friends

I am so excited to start on this project. Thanks to all who have already expressed interest. All squares will be a part of one or more blankets that will be mailed to the jewish community in Pittsburgh.

Details:

We will be knitting Ann and Kay’s beautiful Mitered Crosses Pattern which I can email to you once you jump on board. If that seems a bit outside your comfort zone, please let me know and we can figure out a pattern for your square that you do feel comfortable with.

If you need a pattern, please send me your email address or email me at tsasanow@gmail.com. When you have finished your square, sewn in the ends and washed and blocked it, let me know and I will send you my mailing address.

The details:

1. Please use worsted weight machine washable yarn.

2. Please use a shade of blue for the inside and a light cream, beige or dove gray (or something similar) for the outside.

3. Gauge is approximately 20 sts and 20 rows (20 garter ridges) = 4" (10cm) in garter stitch.

4. Please block to 11.2" x 11.2" square

5. Please aim to mail the squares to me by December 15

6. As mentioned above, please weave in ends and block the squares–This will make finishing so much easier and will be greatly appreciated.

Please email me if you have any questions. I am so excited about this project and working with you!

2 Likes

It just occurred to me to ask if a pattern with crosses is an appropriate one for the Jewish community. I would not want to offend anyone.

4 Likes

I’m in, too. I have the pattern and will shop for colors Friday. Thank you.

1 Like

I will answer this with my own opinion as a Jewish person, but not a super religious one. I don’t see the “crosses” in this pattern as religious crosses (they are not usually squared). That said, super religious people might see that. This event touched people across the spectrum of religiousness (is that a word?), and I don’t believe anyone would be offended by the gesture. Others who are more observant may feel differently and I will not be offended, but this seems like a gift of love and supporting thoughts to me. Who would not want that?

4 Likes

Great. Thanks for participating

1 Like

I appreciate your opinion, thank you for sharing it. “Religiousness”, yeah…definitely a word👍! The crosses actually remind me of the Red Cross crosses, or a MASH cross. (btw, Happy Birthday! )

1 Like

Please count me in. I’ve done squares before for fire victims, so I have the pattern. I’m from Western Pa. and thank you for this.

1 Like

Count me in for a square. I have the pattern and will dig out some yarn. My coworker Erica is observant so I’ll check in with her today.

1 Like

Count on me for a block – or two! I participated in team blanket #5 and am happy to do a few blocks for this as well.

2 Likes

I just spoke to Erica and she said that some people may see the squares as religious and that it would not be appropriate for all the different levels of observance. BUT, we have a possible solution. What if we omit the contrast color in the corner of each miter and knit each miter in one color. Then we would have mitered blocks.

1 Like

I drew a little picture. Any excuse to play with Sharpies!

2 Likes

Which also means eight fewer ends to weave in, just sayin!

6 Likes

I like this a lot (4 colors, not crosses). Staying with the blue/neutral motif. Although not Jewish, am a Girl from New York City and not really comfortable sending crosses, if we can do something better. (By the way, three blocks like above but one block with notch makes sort of a heart.)

3 Likes

Karen, you are brilliant! I like making the inner part all blue and the outer part cream. I will get started on this version!!

3 Likes

I would love to make a square! I have the pattern already from Team 2 (& 5).

3 Likes

Agree on the colors!

2 Likes

Just a thought here - but the Rainbow we all look for after the rain comes from Genesis 9:13 “I do set my bow in the cloud …”.

5 Likes