Kitchener Opinion

Ok, I’m a dope. Decided to handle the underarm of the sweater I’m knitting for my husband before I finished my coffee this morning. Yay - one under arm done. Kitchener before 9am! Sadly, I did it with the right sides together, so that the “seam” is on the outside. (Not sure what I’d call that, but you know what I mean.)

Options:

1. Leave it as is, and do the second arm the same for consistency. It’s really bulky alafoss lopi, and you won’t be able to see it when it’s worn. Hey, I could call it a feature of the pattern! Pretty sure the wearer won’t notice, if I don’t tell him. The maker will remember for the rest of time.

2. Do the second under arm the right way, and live with the inconsistency. Possible the wearer will notice. The maker will remember for the rest of time.

3. Try and take it out. I’ve not attempted this before and worry I might mess things up. The wearer may enjoy my grousing about this… The maker will be annoyed.

Thoughts, helpful knitters?

TIA - Deana

2 Likes

I would go with 1 or 3. The inconsistency would kill me. That said, the recipient would never care if there was a small underarm seam particularly in a bulky sweater. If it will drive you crazy for the rest of time though, I would probably try and undo it.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response! I decided to go for it and un-do it. It turned out to not be as bad as I expected. And now both underarms are consistent. The wearer is happy with the sweater and ready for January!

9 Likes

Great, and congratulations!!!

I’ve done number 3 when I messed up my Kitchener stitch - just go slow, have patience and good light, You’ve worked hard, you want it to be right! As you say, you’ll know and it will spoil your joy.

1 Like

I would opt for consistency, so option 1 or 3. I would probably take option 3 because it would bug me, and I would know every time I saw it being worn. Make sure you have excellent light, time, and few distractions. I would also have a pile of stitch markers open to put any slippy stitches on so they have to stay put, if not on the needles.

1 Like

I"m late to the party, and I’m glad it worked out for you, I just wanted to send my sympathy when I read your post. I would have sat down and cried.

2 Likes