Knitting needles and TSA

Hi y’all! So I’m traveling to Scotland in a week and I’d like to take a small knitting project with me, on circular needles. Will this get through TSA? TSA says it will, but I’d like some first hand confirmation of that :slight_smile:

I have traveled overseas and the US with circular needles and never had any problems with TSA. Make sure the scissors you might take are small. Enjoy your trip!

1 Like

OK great! Not planning on bringing any scissors, but I will keep this in mind when I’m packing!

Getting out of the US should be fine, but definitely check Scotland’s rules for the way back.

1 Like

Oh gosh that’s a thought…I might just leave my knitting to be safe!

Hi, you will be fine getting knitting needles in and out of both countries.

From TSA.gov. "In general, you may place your knitting needles and needlepoint tools in carry-on or checked baggage.

“Circular thread cutters or any other cutter or needlepoint tools that contain blades must be placed in checked baggage. You are permitted to keep scissors smaller than 4 inches in your carry-on baggage.”

UK government restrictions, same as TSA: Hand luggage restrictions at UK airports: Overview - GOV.UK
TSA: Sewing Needles | Transportation Security Administration.

2 Likes

I have never had problems with knitting needles. Have had a pair of scissors taken in Egypt. They were the legal size for travel but he took them anyway. Guess he liked them and wanted his wife to have a nice pair! Just make sure you have a project on those needles just in case!

2 Likes

I’ve never had a problem in the US. In fact when I was travelling to Nashville this year, they actually found my scissors from my desk at work in my bag (I forgot they were there) but they let me keep them because the blade wasn’t longer than the palm of the checkers hand.

Check at the airport when you arrive in Scotland. If its a problem, either put your knitting in a checked bag or just go to the post office when you’re leaving and mail it home.

Have a wonderful trip.

2 Likes

P.S. If they’re going to take anything it will just be the needles. They won’t take your whole project.

2 Likes

OK thank you! I couldn’t find it on the gov.uk site!

1 Like

I traveled to Scotland a month ago- no issues with knitting needles and security. Enjoy- Scotland is lovely!

2 Likes

I cannot WAITTTTT!

2 Likes

You can read the TSA specifications that will give you an idea of what is acceptable. Make a copy to have when going through security. I would also look up the airlines and read what is accepted. Again, make a copy in the event there is a question.

1 Like

I’ve never had an issue with knitting needles, but honestly, do they not realize the damage one could do with the 12 inch metal knitting needle? It has always struck me as so odd that they might confiscate a small set of scissors w/short blades, but just let you waltz on with what could be a dangerous weapon. Go figure.

2 Likes

HOWEVER, the rules are different in Mexico…they do NOT allow knitting needles through!
(I have taken them on occasion tho). The last time I tried the nice young man held up a piece of paper to show me…along with the guns and knives and explosives were knitting needles!!! so sad…

1 Like

I have been lucky to have been traveling WITH MY KNITTING this year in and out of Dublin, London, Frankfurt, Athens, and Rome.

I now only travel with wood, plastic, or bamboo needles and I have a fingernail clipper to cut with on trips.

The only issues were with metal knitting needles (I was allowed to keep them after much discussion) and tiny scissors (they were taken). And the issues happen on the way back to the US, never on the way out.

Check out my knitting travels on my IG @jlinkinDC

3 Likes