What's your favorite car travel project?

I’m heading up north Maine this weekend for the week. It’ll be lots of driving just getting there. I usually bring socks to knit, but I get bored. I thought about knitting Vivid Blanket squares, but not sure the start stop, bind off, cut yarn is something I want to do. What do others do?

2 Likes

Something on circular needles. How about the Destination Scarf from Field Guide 17?

Have a great trip. I’m suffering from Maine envy.

5 Likes

Enjoy the trip. For me it is less about the project than the pattern. I need something pretty mindless. I think some of the sequence knitting patterns would work. I agree with you about probably not wanting a lot of cutting etc. The fewer things to drop under the seat the better I think!

4 Likes

I like making hats as a travel project since they are small and easy to carry with you. I prefer a pattern that is easy to remember. I have used some of the ideas in Sequence Knitting. It’s a wonderful resource.
I also like socks on two circular needles.

4 Likes

I like to have a scarf on the go, on Circs, so you can’t drop a needle.
They make good presents.

3 Likes

Agreed, it’s the stitch pattern that makes or breaks a travel project. On my recent car trip, I took a summer top-down shell that had gotten to the less “think-y” body section. Circular needles size 8, knit, knit, knit with a few reverse stockinet purls in there. And, on an airplane trip, my sequence shawl in light worsted. Emjoy Maine!

3 Likes

I like simple projects where the pattern can be easily memorized, and then just knitted for a very long time, like a shawl or scarf.
Have just started a pretty summer shawl called Double Scoop that looks lacy, but is a very simple stitch.
Also an extremely clever Japanese jacket that starts at one sleeve and finishes up without ever breaking the yarn! A simple lace pattern that progresses, so always easy to find one’s place again, and the shape changes happen slowly. Hitofude is the pattern.
Both in fingering weight yarns, so they don’t take up a lot of space in the lap. Have fun!

2 Likes

I usually bring socks to knit on long car trips (we just completed a month long trip to LA from New Hampshire and I made several baby things in addition to socks). In case I finish everything, which rarely happens, I bring a scrappy pinwheel blanket that uses up my innumerable balls of leftover sock yarn. It’s fun!! And someday I’ll have a finished blanket!!

3 Likes

I’ll look into sequence knitting for my next trip Thank you! A hat is a great idea, too.

1 Like

do you roll the scarf up as you go so it isn’t on the floor?

I almost always bring a second project with me. This trip I did end up taking socks. I finished my socks and then twiddled my thumbs the rest of the trip. It wasn’t good…

2 Likes

I’ll look that project up (and the name destination scarf is perfect) for my next road trip.

1 Like

LOL! I can only imagine!!

We got back from a trip to Maine last week. I had a Musselberg hat to work on the way up (I finished it). I bought more yarn in Bangor, Maine (One Lupine) and knit the scarf from Field Guide 18. I’ve finished that and then did the Everyday Cowlette (also by Karida Collins) with some alpalca yarn that I bought near Boothbay (in New Wagen at a farm that actually has alpacas). I just finished that tonight.
We saw the Trolls at the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens – that was fun. Have a wonderful trip!!

3 Likes

@Novaskillsinc - I’m a big Sequence fan, too. I started with the field guide and then bought the book. I’m glad you mentioned it for travel because it’s the same sequence and there are beautiful patterns. I loved the concept so much, I even wrote the author to say “Thanks!” She wrote back. Classy.

Updated: I just read that the next Field Guide is also by Cecelia Campochiaro. HOORAY!

1 Like

I’ve got One Lupine on my bucket list of stores to visit. I’m glad you went there and I am looking forward to getting up that way (I’m in southern Maine).

Enjoy!!!

1 Like

Socks as well for me in the car, on a plane etc. No chance to lose a needle, carried in a small bag with a zipper and a small set of scissors and a few stitch markers. I spend regular time in a medical setting, just sitting and bring the same sock bag with me to keep my hands busy during the wait.

2 Likes

I love to knit cowls while travelling. My favourite is the “Wolkig” cowl by Martina Behm (available free via KNITTY or Ravelry) - you can use nearly every fingering or lace yarn, looks great with variegated colours or fluffy yarn and has just one line of pattern. I find the cast on a bit fiddly and have usually twisted my yarn while joining so I do this part while at home.

4 Likes

I did Mood cardigan, started at home, when touring Newfoundland. It was miles of simple lace patterned rectangle. Very satisfying. Would also recommend Newfoundland if you haven’t been there…

3 Likes