Need Travel Knitting Idea Today, Please!

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and I’m off tomorrow on a two-week trip that will involve plane, train and boat travel. Uncharacteristically, I haven’t been struck with inspiration on what to bring to knit.

I would love ideas for your favorite cowl pattern or other smallish project using fingering or possibly worsted weight yarn. I need something that isn’t too fiddly, but not so simple as to get boring. I prefer to knit in the round. And it can’t be dependent on a specific yarn, as I will be using stash. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Of course I can search Ravelry, etc., but I thought I’d throw this out there to get some ideas of others’ favorites. Thanks for any suggestions!

Heather

Lucky you! Wishing you excellent travels and great knitting!

MDK projects are pretty much perfect for travel knitting:

Breton Cowl.

Leif Cowl. If you’re game for Fair Isle, this is a rhythmic, simple pattern, fingering weight, love it.

Squad Mitts.

Colorwash Scarf.

(https://www.masondixonknitting.com/product-category/field-guides/)
They’re all from MDK Field Guides, available by download here.

4 Likes

In addition to Ann’s suggestion, for a worsted cowl, just look for an interesting stitch pattern, cast on the amount needed in gauge for your desired width, and knit on!

1 Like

I second the Leif cowl idea. I brought it along earlier this month when we flew to Canada. Though it was fair isle, it really is a rhythmic and easy project… plus, since it’s fingering it didn’t take up much space in my bag. And now it’s done! Next I will stash dive to make another, since the first was such a joy.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions!

Heather

A Honey Cowl is always fun.

4 Likes

Wolkig in the latest Knitty is also a great travel project.

I can’t not suggest Drop Dead Easy Knits, we have a chapter with things to knit while traveling–but really, the whole book is about things that can be mindless part of the time, yet engaging enough to not bore you.
The Abide Shawl or the Short Beach Shawl would both be great fingering weight, squish-up-able options

3 Likes

I know I am late to the party, but my recent tiny-fits-in-a-wee-project-bag cowl knitting is an Amecameca cowl using two teeny skeins of Shibui Lunar. Honestly, the project bag squishes down to the size of my fist, and the pattern two-color knitting keeps me interested, yet it’s still easy enough to look up from occasionally so one doesn’t get carsick.
Perhaps, on your trip, you can get some yarn as a ‘souvenir’ and start something to remind you of your travels.
Bon voyage.

1 Like

I made Mrs Blandings shawl/scarf by Casapinka last fall while traveling. I used Madelinetosh pashmina yarns. It was a great travel project, just enough variety to keep it interesting. Hav fun!