Refreshalong: Trellis Top Talk

Here’s where we’ll talk about the trials and tribs, the sunshine and shadow, the agony and the ecstasy of the Trellis Top.

Kay has already figured out the workaround for her serious gauge fail: https://www.masondixonknitting.com/girl-meets-gauge/

Carol Feller has made two videos that will come in real handy when we get to the i-cord edging and i-cord buttonholes.

Here they are: picking up stitches and i-cord corners and buttonholes..

Let’s go!

3 Likes

I am struggling with the set up row that follows the first 16 rows. Can someone help me?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Hi Veronica. I haven’t gotten that far yet but I read through it yesterday to try to understand pattern. What I did was count the stitches. So my size I had a CO of 122 stitches. So reading the pattern I started adding up each part of the setup row and found I was missing a k8. Once I recalculated I had my 122 stitches. Not sure if this is what you were looking for.

1 Like

That is totally what I was looking for! I’m knitting the same size.
Can you walk me through it? Or send me a graphic?

Many thanks,

Veronica

1 Like

Knit 1
Fractured Lattice pattern (FLP) 32 (8x4)
Knit 8
FLP 16 (8x2)
Knit 8
FLP 16 (8x2)
Knit 8
FLP 32 (8x4)
Knit 1
= 122 stitches
So each Fractured lace is 8 stitches so parentheses shows how many times to do the pattern.
Hope this helps. It certainly helped me.

7 Likes

Aha! Thank you. The many parentheses had me thrown for a loop (so to speak)…I quite forgot there were a number of sizes and I was apparently trying to knit them all.
Got up early this morning to knit that row and it worked just fine.
Love having this group!

3 Likes

My Yarn should arrive today so I can wind and swatch for Trellis.

4 Likes

Waiting for my yarn to arrive–it was mailed a couple of days ago, but it all depends on how soon it gets through customs…

2 Likes

I think it was the bracket that threw me!! Took me awhile to find the closing bracket.
After completing the first 8 rows of pattern, my width is 21.5” instead of 18.75. My stockinette gauge had been correct. So I seem to have same problem as Kay.

1 Like

I couldn’t wait for the formal start date so I started early and I am almost finished with the back. I love the yarn.

6 Likes

Started my Trellis Top. I’m loving this pattern and the yarn is delicious. I am having some struggle with my concentration through this pandemic but I’ll work through it.

7 Likes

I just cast on yesterday and found out it is a Knitalong today. Perfect! Sounds like I need to check my gauge.

7 Likes

Other than they make row 7 a pain with offsetting 3 stitches putting the marker in the middle of the 1/1RC, (take a breath), I have my stitch markers every 8 stitches, and added a second different color stitch marker at the start of the K8 section to remind me not to keep going with the cable repeat. . . And it works almost every time, lol!! I’ve only ignored it and had to tink back a couple of times. For me the stitch markers help me be much nicer to my family because I can find my place in a snap when they interrupt me! :laughing:

7 Likes

For those who blocked your swatch, how much did your gauge change from before blocking? Asking for a friend! (who knit a swatch, but was too impatient to get started to block . . . and trying to assess how much of a problem she might be in for while it’s still early).

3 Likes

I used a heck of a lot of markers too. Really makes it easier for my low level of concentration. I actually find row 7 fun to split the marker. I’m about 15 inches into the back using Bare Necessities color way. image|640x480

5 Likes

I am a huge marker fan. I moved them in row 7 and reset on 8. I also marked off the k8 for the body, but I still sometimes forget.

1 Like

I’m doing the same thing with markers. I find it so much easier to see where I am with the markers every 8 stitches. Thanks for the idea of putting extra markers for the stockinette changes.

3 Likes

I also have been moving my markers on row 7 and return on row 8. As a fairly new knitter I need anything that will help.

2 Likes

I am not that new a knitter and I still need anything that will help!!!

4 Likes

I’m probably not being very efficient - I slip it off when I get to it (moving a stitch over and back) and then replace it after I finish the K2. I’m using the bulb-shaped ones I can open and close.

1 Like