Refreshalong: Trellis Top Talk

I love Nua and couldn’t wait to start! I started Day 1 of our Shelter in Place. 46 days later and here I am.

#refreshalongmdk

12 Likes

AHA! My left leaning cables (1/1LC) weren’t looking so great (in fact, kind of invisible), So I went back to look at Carol Feller’s video and I saw that after you knit the second stitch on the left needle, you knit both stitches THROUGH THE BACK LOOPS, not through the front loops as I had been doing. I’m not willing to go back and re-knit all 16 rows, so I’m calling it a design element and will carry on from here doing it the correct way. It’s not likely to show at the bottom of the back, right?

7 Likes

Thank you so much for this. Like Veronica, I was breezing along until I reached this second set-up row, and then I had to stop and really think about it. I remembered reading your post in the Lounge, so I went back and reread it…then it all made perfect sense!

2 Likes

Another marker fan here! I’ve placed mine every 16 stitches for the Lattice pattern and then every 8 for the knit stitches. It seems to be working.

3 Likes

That looks great!

Hi there! I have just cast on to do a gage swatch for this Top… will be first time doing the (1/1LC or RC) cable, though i had a successful cable experience 3 years ago with cable needle. I’ve read tantalizing hints that these can be done without cable needle? Really (yay!)? Is there a video? Are there more clues?

2 Likes

I just ordered Field Book #14 and the Nui yarn for Trellis KAL yesterday and the yarn is already on the way. This is my KAL with MDK and I am looking forward to it. Thought it would be a good project for this corona virus time. The yarn will come in time as I am just finishing up another knit project. How awesome is that.

6 Likes

Especially not in the dark yarn!

1 Like

Trellis top begins.

7 Likes

Anne, not sure if you found the video for the 1/1 LC and 1/1RC. Carol shows it at about 3:30 mark in Technique for Twining Wrap video. Hope it helps, it really helped me.

1 Like

A technical question! I hope someone can help!
Is there any reason why the left leaning cables are more twisted than the right leaning cables? The only twisted stitch in the RC is the one that lies behind the cable.
Is this part of the design or just an expedient way of working cables without a cable needle?

3 Likes

My guess, and it is just that, a guess is that they are twisted and crossed. We knit the LC through the back loop so you are turning the stitch and changing the order. The RC is through the front loop.

3 Likes

This is the most relaxing knitting I’ve done in months! The Nua yarn is exquisite and a dream to knit with. Markers every 8 stitches along the way make it easy to handle interruptions, and the trellis pattern is hypnotic. I LOVE knitting this project.

4 Likes

I’m not sure why you are having to split the 1/1RC on row 7. There is a shift in the 8-st rep on row 7, so that it begins 1/1LC, K, K, 1/1RC, K, K. That’s your 8 stitches.

2 Likes

I think she means that if you are using markers, when you shift, you need to move the marker since it is in the middle of the RC. That is what I am doing also. More attentive knitters might not need the markers, but I do, and it also makes it easier to find an error since I can only have to tink back 8 stitches max.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m going to twist both sides, maybe even swatch!!

2 Likes

What I am saying is that if you look at the chart, the beginning of the 8-stitch repeat on row 7 does not begin until the first 1/1LC, and the last stitch in the 8-stitch repeat is after 2 knit stitches. Do you see that? Therefore, there is no need to move stitch markers.

1 Like

Yesss! Thank you for the clue! I had not thought to look at the shawl video for the demo on this technique, and the swatch is now coming along. Am using Rowan felted tweed because I have a bunch… I think it will work well. Yay! Thanks again :smiley:

4 Likes

I just responded to your helpful note, but am not awesome at how to use this chat format. Yet! Just want to make sure you get my Thanks! Anne

3 Likes

But the three stitches before the start of the pattern throws it off. I also find it landing in the middle of the 1/1 RC. Did I miss something?

2 Likes