Refreshalong: Twining Wrap Talk

Hello, fans of triangular cable-y goodness. This is where we will be talking all things Twining Wrap.

For access to Carol Feller’s video tutorial, go here.

Twine along with us!

5 Likes

Hi,
This my first time in a Knitalong and also in a online chat group a little nervous but thought I would join the fun. I am a long time knitter but never made a wrap before so here goes. It’s a birthday present for my sister. My wool is arriving today , can’t wait.

8 Likes

Hi,
This is also my first time in a Knit along and a chat group. I have knitted for a few years but usually just baby sweaters for a friend’s church bazaar. I decided during this isolation period to try to challenge myself so bought the Refresh Guide to try the Twining wrap. Seeing as I am in Ontario Canada I didn’t figure the Nua wool would arrive so purchased something equivalent from a local store. The guide has not arrived yet either so I also purchased the e-book. I was reading the pattern last night and it is written differently to the ones I normally get…I seemed to have trouble interpreting some of it so it will be interesting when I start to knit !!
I have never done cables before so this might be more of a challenge than I anticipated but hopefully with this forum I will succeed! I am new to Mason Dixon Knitting as well but really am enjoying all of the emails…such interesting articles and advice …

4 Likes

Is there something specific that’s confusing you or are you reading everything and getting overwhelmed? Read the set up section, then work it. The 1st cable you work is Padded Cable. After you get the set up rows going far enough along to get the feel of your borders and increasing then look at the Padded Cable and read those techniques. Take it a step at a time. After all it’s how we learned to walk, feed ourselves, read, knit. It’s how you learn to cable. 1 step at a time. Take it easy. You can do it.

3 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for responding! Yes I think I got myself a bit overwhelmed. I had read up to cable segment 1 A and all was okay, although I hate to admit I had to look up what sm and pm meant…but when I started reading ahead about padded cable and twisted cables my mind became twisted as well. I realize I am getting ahead of myself as I haven’t even unwound the wool yet as I usually only buy balls…so I have decided to take one step at a time and do as you suggested… I don’t usually do a gauge either as the baby sweaters can be any size although something tells me I should do one for this pattern!

I feel more comfortable knowing help is here if I need it so thanks again.

2 Likes

I’m already confused - not hard to do as I’m a fairly new knitter. Question about Row 66 of the Twining Wrap:
The directions for Row 66 say to continue in patterns as established through Row 24 … SO … after turning to the wrong side after knitting Row 65 I did the 1st section (Sl 1, P1, K2) slipped marker, then did the 16 stitches of the Padded Cable Section, then did the 8 stitches of the Twisted Cable section. NOW, what instructions do I follow for the last nine stitches?

1 Like

With the exception of the YO increase you work all wrong side stitches as they appear. If the side facing you looks like a knit stitch, knit it. If on the side facing you it looks like a purl, purl it. I’m in Section C and I occasionally still have to double check occasionally what to do with that YO. That’s why the individual pages with the individual cable sections are so nice. You can go to the area you have a question on and just look that up. Maintain the border stitches and keep the rest in stockinette st until you get enough stitches for the next cable.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply.

The wide cables are both 24 rows and the narrow one is 2 rows which is an even multiple. The wide cables are 16 sts each and the narrow one is 8 sts, another multiple. Take it 1 step at a time. It’s how we learn anything new!

1 Like

Hello
I have never participated in a Lounge or KnitAlong. I have the Twining Wrap pattern and yarn… now what?
Thank you for your help.

1 Like

This will be my third MDK KAL. I started last week and am using Nua in the color Broken Tiles. I love the yarn and have found the pattern to be the perfect combination of interestIng and easily memorized.

1 Like

There isn’t even a photo in the MDK Field Guide with the wrap laid out flat. It would be helpful to see what it is supposed to look like. I still am having trouble knowing what to do in the increase section.

2 Likes

I felt a little overwhelmed on the gauge swatch directions at first myself! I had to write out the sequence and put in my stitch markers - I ended up printing out the pattern and moving post it noted so it felt easier to find the right row and I switched between the sections.

1 Like

Hi Sherry! Here’s a photo of my Twining Wrap laid flat. I know what you mean about wanting to see the piece flat–hope this helps.

10 Likes

Oh, thank you so much! Yes! That helps immensely.

I’m loving the pattern. I think I’ve made every mistake possible and have spent a fair amount of time ripping. Finally, started adding a lifeline every 24 rows. I’ve also managed to hide a few small mistakes (an extra or missing stitch) behind a cable.

4 Likes

Here is a picture of my project so far. I am about to begin Cable Section 2. Like others, I was a little confused at first, but if you really do just knit as per directions, it somehow becomes clear. You will memorize the pattern quickly, and no longer need to refer to instructions. Just hang in there, and have confidence. You will love it once you get going. I am really, really enjoying it. And loving the yarn. Thanks to all of you!

7 Likes

I did the set up section last night and then put it down. I often have to leave learning new stuff until the daylight.

1 Like

Thank you, this helps so much!

It’s a good thing this shawl is for me😍. My latest mistake: twisted the cable needle on a 4/4 cable and didn’t notice for SIX rows! Decided surgery was a better option than ripping. Completed successfully with 2 stitch holders and a crochet hook. Like most surgeries there is a small scar, but I can live with it. Patient is resting. I’m going to try quilting for a while.

6 Likes