Stepping Stone Throw

Erika Knight’s design is a joyride in modular knitting—adding new squares in a cool way.

Share your progress, ask a question, see what everybody’s doing with Erika Knight’s design from Field Guide No. 20: Atlas.

The knitalong for this begins March 18. Details here: Get Ready! Let's All Knit Erika Knight - Modern Daily Knitting.

For the pattern, the yarn, and all things Erika, visit the Field Guide No. 20 One-Stop Shop.

2 Likes

This is my first time doing entrelac and I’m not experienced in picking up stitches, so I like the tip in the pattern that suggests slip stitching purl wise the first stitch of the row. Does this apply to every row in the pattern?
Thanks,
Linda

1 Like

I just thought of a problem with using slip stitches for the first stitch (see my first question above). What happens when you change colors, and you’re supposed to knit the first stitch with one strand each of the old color and new color held together? How is this done with slip stitches?
Thanks,
Linda

Entrelac is definitely a “you had to be there” situation. When you cast on and see how the first row of base triangles looks, you’ll understand the instructions. It’s up there with the great knitterly aha moments.

You’re slipping the first stitch of the “unattached” edges of each triangle and rectangle so that when you turn the blanket to knit the next row of patches you’ve got a neat edge of stitches from which to pick up stitches.

You’re only knitting the very first stitch of each new row of patches with the two yarns held together, not each patch because (except when you get to the striped patches) you’re only knitting one color at a time. Cast on and see!

3 Likes

Two somewhat odd questions. 1. I don’t have a 40-inch circular–can it fit on a 32-inch circular or is that just too small? (I also have a 60-inch cable, but I only have size six tips, for that one since its a different brand from my fully interchangeable set).
2. Which colors are people using as A, B, C, D, and E in the Bold colourway for this blanket? I’m super excited for my bundle to arrive, but I’m not sure which color I want to use for which squares.

1 Like

Thank-you! This is helpful.

1 Like

I’m also knitting the Bold color way and asked Kay for color assignment advise, and this is what she suggested:

A: Navy
B: Wintergreen
C: Merlot
D: Whisper
E: Leek

She also said that she reserves the right to change her mind and so should I (she is also knitting the throw in the Bold color way). Additionally, she said that there are 4 skeins of colors Navy, Wintergreen, and Merlot, so you can swap these colors around as you wish for A, B, and C, while there are only 3 skeins each of Whisper and Leek, so these colors can be used only for either D or E.
Hope this is helpful. Sorry, I don’t know the answer to the needle length question.
Linda

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I did notice those were the 3 that could be A, B, and C, and I like the idea of starting with the Navy. Maybe I’ll try casting on on what I have and see how it feels–it’s not a big deal if I need new tips for the 60-inch or an extended cable for the set, just a delay in getting started.

1 Like

The piece will be a bit smooshed on a 32" cord, but definitely doable!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Help! I started my stepping stone throw, but I am not at all confident that I am doing it correctly (first attempt at entrelac). I got through the first set-up triangle, and I thought it was correct. And then when I started triangle 2, it looks like the point of this triangle is directionally opposite to the first one.

2 Likes

The first row of triangles will look like pennants, all joined at the cast on and with the left selvage as one side and the live stitches as the right side. It appears that the completed triangle and the triangle in progress are lined up correctly.
Take a look at the photo on page 39 of the guide which shows this foundation that you are creating.
I think you have it just right.

1 Like

Thanks. So on my left needle, finished pennant 1 consists of 24 stitches with the point (beginning 2 stitches) hanging down - and my newly started pennant 2 will hang in the opposite direction with the 2 beginning stitches attached to the 24 stitch edge of pennant 1? I kind of see what you mean in the picture, but my brain is still having a hard time.

1 Like

The first set of base triangles are attached only at the cast on edge. Pennant may have been a poor illustration as they generally hang down and these will actually be pointing up, sorry.
The finished triangle base is the cast on edge, the live stitches as the right side of the triangle and the selvage as the left. The next triangle will be worked to the right of this finished triangle and without cutting the yarn.
I hope that I have not made this more confusing!

1 Like

There are some great YouTube videos (6 videos altogether), from Planet Purl, on how to do entrelac knitting. I had never done entrelac myself, but after watching the videos, and knitting the practice swatch from the videos, I feel that I now have a very good understanding of the technique.

Below is a link to the first video (Entrelac Knitting Part One - Bottom Triangles), or you can Google “Planet Purl entrelac YouTube”. The video refers to a handout, but, unfortunately, it appears that Planet Purl no longer exists, so there is no handout.

Hope this is helpful.

2 Likes

Starting second tier. Really love knitting this!

3 Likes