Scrap Tote by Erika Knight

A cute little bag from Erika Knight, designed to use your bits and bobs of yarn. Make it your own!

Share your progress, ask a question, see what everybody’s doing with Erika Knight’s design from Field Guide No. 20: Atlas.

The knitalong for this begins March 18. Details here: Get Ready! Let's All Knit Erika Knight - Modern Daily Knitting.

For the pattern, the yarn, and all things Erika, visit the Field Guide No. 20 One-Stop Shop.

3 Likes

Got my yarn for the scrap tote!

6 Likes

I have my trusty breadbaskets full of Felted Tweed! Yummy!

7 Likes

For the felted tweed are you thinking you’ll use it double strand ???

1 Like

How do you keep track of colors/names?

I’m making it up as I go along - we’ll see if I like it. Some squares will be single color/strand and others will be “pulled from the tangle” - that’s what’s left from my Kaffe Fassett Bungalow Heaven throw. I think I’ll try double for some. This is all experimental.

1 Like

I’m picking colors as I go. Not worrying about keeping track of anything. In fact, I pulled together all the smallest remnants - will see how far it goes.

3 Likes

Sounds like fun!

I just started mine but it doesn’t seem like I’m doing it right. Would someone mind posting a pic of their first 2 triangles or your WIP?

Another question. Do I cut the color after I’m done with a triangle? This is my first attempt at enterlac and I’m super confused.

This is the base of the scrappy tote worked over 12 rather than 24 stitches. You do cut each tail as you complete each section. Now the second tier will be worked, with Pear you will make a side triangle, and then finally when you work the Barn Red rectangle the 2 base triangles will be joined.

3 Likes

Thanks! That helps. I think I got it figured out. I watched some videos too. This is an addicting knit!

1 Like

Side one is done! It was a little scary at first but then it became addicting.

6 Likes

Would there be enough yarn in the six skeins to make two bags?

My completed bag weighs 175g, which includes the handles.
The skeins are 57g each, so it seems possible. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Where do the stitches for the side triangle come from? Nothing is cast on and it doesn’t say anything about picking up stitches. What am I missing?

1 Like

Good morning Pennie!
There are live stitches on the right edge of the base triangle, you’ll join the new yarn, knit 2, turn, purl 2, turn KFB, SSK which means that you’ll increase on the right edge of the “new” stitches while joining them to the previous triangle on the left. On the RS you’ll KFB in the first stitch, and end the last stitch with the SSK to join it.

1 Like

I need help again. :slightly_smiling_face: How do you sew the canvas bag inside the scrap tote? The pattern says to baste it in but I’m not sure how. Yarn won’t go through the canvas and I don’t think thread will work very well with the yarn. I’m stumped.

1 Like

I did use sewing thread that matches the bag and a short whip stitch.
My bag is a rather lightweight fabric, and I’m just catching the purl bump of the pick-up edge.

2 Likes

I’ve lined a knitted bag before using sewing thread. I did a backstitch, using the purl bumps as the place I’d connect to the bag. I love Erika’s idea of repurposing an existing tote for the lining–it’s like a little souvenir in there.

Also: I used a tea towel as a lining, which can really be fun. You have to seam the towel—fold it in half, then stitch the two side edges together to leave only one side open at the top.

6 Likes