Storing needles...

I’ve taken up knitting in the last year, as a late convert from crocheting. I’ve come to realize that my haphazard buying of needles has gotten a little out of hand… but I do have a better sense of what I love (Addi Rockets…) and don’t love (ugh, bamboo, how you slow me down…). And that each project and yarn lends itself better or worse to a type of needle.

That being said, my needles are currently residing in a drawer, jumbled together. I have a needle gauge (which my husband dubbed a drill bit gauge), so at least I know what I’ve got. BUT I need to get this under control. Any recommendations on how best to organize your needles? And bonus points for your favorite combo set? Should I just bite the bullet and buy the Addis?

Many thanks!

4 Likes

I have a zip lock back for each size that I keep my circulars and double points in. The zip locks live in a tote bag that hangs on a hook on the inside of my knitting closet door. Straights live in vases on my sideboard.

8 Likes

Bite the bullet and by the Addi set. Can’t help with organization though as I’m still trying to find a method that works for me - those lovely fabric rolled cases never seem to work for me. :frowning:

4 Likes

I used a pretty multicolor/fabric shoe rack that hangs on the back of the door to organize my knitting needles. Each “shoe” pocket is labeled with a size, and all the needles I own that are that size fit in one pocket - easy way to see what I own…I really like it!

22 Likes

For circulars, I bought a planner binder on sale and fitted it with vinyl sleeves. Marked each sleeve with needle size, and filled with my various lengths and types. I culled duplicates and donated them to a school knitting group at my LYS.

8 Likes

You have a KNITTING CLOSET??? I can barely fit my clothes in mine!

8 Likes

I have a fishing lure thing that I bought at Bass Pro Shop to store my fixed circulars.

It has zip-loc bags inside and you can add more. I took a sharpie and wrote the needle size and cord length.

8 Likes

This is the inside.

18 Likes

Love this idea

1 Like

To store my circular needles, I use a small accordion file that I got at the Container Store a few years ago - I think they still sell it. I can organize the needles by size and it has a couple of small pockets up front. I keep a needle gauge in one of them. I can store a ton of needles in a small space, find the ones I need quickly, and - bonus - it’s very portable.

I keep my straight needles and crochet hooks in vases on the table next to my knitting spot. Not portable, but I think it looks nice (my bf has a different opinion on the matter; we have agreed to disagree).

9 Likes

My apartment has great closet space but seriously zero counter space in the kitchen. I have had to open drawers and put cutting boards on top of them to cook dinner.

3 Likes

I have several inexpensive pencil cases, bought at the back-to-school sales, linked together. I got the idea from my LYS teacher years ago.

6 Likes

That is genius

2 Likes

Several women in my local group use this and love it!

2 Likes

I use The Circular Solution, simple and effective on the back of my bedroom door. Bought mine at my LYS, but as you can see, available directly from the company. I’ve also seen some beautiful handmade versions of this basic idea.

9 Likes

I love my Addis. I also have a set of rainbow wood ones from KnitPicks. And one of my favorite LYS, Makers Mercantile, sells what looks like a shoulder purse but is, in fact a beautiful place to store interchangeable tips and cords, notions, and even your phone and eyeglasses. It’s a bit pricey, but it is beautiful. My husband bought me one for Christmas, and I love it. As for straight needles, I have some that were my mother’s and grandmother’s before her. They used to be stored in a after dinner mint box, but it fell apart. I like the idea of storing them in vases. I have tubes (from KnitPicks) which I store my DPs in, but I need more. They also have tubes (cardboard) that can store DPs with knitting work on them.

3 Likes

I have zip lock bags in a plastic tote. Each zip lock bag is labeled with the size.

3 Likes

I’ve been knitting for about 50 years and have a huge collection of needles.

I use the zip lock bag method for circulars, one for each size with lengths listed on the white strip in front of the bag. I store them in an old tin Jack Daniels box :tumbler_glass::crazy_face: I got years ago. Double points go together into a large notions bag, mostly because I have lots of different lengths in most sizes. Straights go into standard straight needle cases.

And, I love bamboo and wooden needles and only use my metal circular Addi needles, preferably Addi lace. But I am a Continental knitter, so that may explain the preference.

5 Likes

I have many sets of sock needles (dpn) so I bought a bunch of two-piece toothbrush holders at 3/$1, labelled each with a sharpie, put a cotton ball in the bottom to block the little ventilation hole I didn’t notice when I bought them, and at least I’ve got the tiny dpns sorted out. I also have a jumble drawer of straights and a few circs, but…baby steps.

10 Likes

This is awesome!

1 Like