Needles to donate

I’ve been sorting through me knitting needles, and after placing duplicates in my second “major” knitting bag, I still have extra needles! No self restraint evidently. And we’re talking top quality needles, not cheapies. So I’m wondering whether anyone knows of a knitter who was caught in one of the horrendous fires or tornadoes etc who might be looking to restock a knitting bag? I would love to give them to a fellow knitter! Could probably even find a bag to put them in…… Thank you!

11 Likes

Some of the Lounge regulars are at the MDK Getaway, and they will probably have great ideas where to donate.
Off the top of my head, judy’s chickens (judyschickens.org is she of the MDK sheetpan supper recipes) taught knitting at a high school recently, she might need more stock.

3 Likes

Thank you, I will try her. Love those sheet pan dinners!

1 Like

Hi- Please consider giving them to your local senior center. At the one where I volunteer, we have many former knitters who are anxious to try new yarn, better needles and enjoy the pleasure of a knitting circle. I often buy these out of pocket, and am sure you can find a similar group where you live.
Thanks for being generous!

3 Likes

Great idea, thank you!

My sister-in-law, who belongs to a couple of different charitable groups, asked knitters and crocheters she knew for hook, needle and yarn donations for women in prison. They are a smallish group in Canada, and don’t get much media attention. I was shocked by how much I had that I wasn’t using when I really looked at what I owned (I’ve been knitting for just over fifty years). I put the double pointed in sets of 4 or 5 and the circulars in baggies with cables and keys to put them together… I got great feedback from the program instructors, all volunteers. Women in detention aren’t high on many lists, so I think this would be appreciated in most locations.

3 Likes

This is a great idea. I will see what exists in my area - we were trying to start one in NH without success. Thank you.

1 Like