Interchangeable Knitting Needles

Darling hubby is buying me an interchangeable knitting needle set for my birthday!
What are your favorites?
Pros and cons?

I have lucite ones that screw in. Knitters Pride, I think. They are my first choice for many projects. The Carbonz also are good and feel elegant in the hand. The expensive Addi-clicks were an investment but the way to attach them simply defies me. Once attached, they are good. You need strong hands and an understanding of the mechanics.

1 Like

I have adds clicks which I like for metal and the tulip ones that MDK sells in bamboo are my go to favorite for interchangeables. The cable is super flexible and the join is simple. I had a knit picks set years ago but destashed it because they always loosened up for me. Somewhat personal preference too…

The Chiaogoo red lace tip interchangeables are my favorites. I love them.

6 Likes

My first set (oh yes, you are at the top of a beautiful, can’t eat just one, slippery slope!) was Chiao Goo and I love them, too. Then came some Signature needles, so slick like buttah but having to match the exact cable to needle was a drag and expensive. Some yarns need a toothier surface than metal so I added a Tulip Long set, and somehow found myself with Lykke too! Also met Indian Lake Artisans at a yarn expo and WOW a set of extra-long maple tips, hexagonal like a pencil, magically appeared to comfort my ancient hands. If I had to limit myself, I’d put Chiao Goo first as most versatile, Tulip second as great all around, and Indian Lake as most comfortable. And whatever you pick, order extras of the shortest cable and stoppers so you can leave sleeves on a cable instead of waste yarn.

3 Likes

I second the leaving sleeves on cables (I often use size 1 needles for this too).

1 Like

Thank you all so much for great advice! I am going with the Chiagoo ! I do think you’re right. Probably first of many!

3 Likes

Slippery slope us right! I love the interchangeable sets, Square shapes and for me as I do less lace knitting I am beginning to lean towards the short needles. I really want the new Addi short tip Rocket 2 set, all sizes, but economics are really a factor soooo?? I have several sets of Knitpicks interchangeable round and square and find that the finish wears off the tips and I don’t think I’ll replace them. Chiaogoo are very nice, metal and bamboo, but interchangeable are definitely my choice.

1 Like

I have the ChiaoGoo red lace interchangeable set. If I didn’t own them, I would be buying them. They are wonderful!! I have the double set (S and L). The S cables also fit onto the 2-3” set. These are amazing needles and cables.

1 Like

Thanks so much! Waiting for my Chiagoo set now
!!!

I can see the monster I’ve created, oh well!! Waiting for my Chiagoo set now!

1 Like

Just ordered the same!!! Can’t wait

1 Like

This set! I’ve had a couple of sets of interchangeable and I was always disappointed that I could feel the join where the cable and the needle were connected. The Chiagoo set is wonderful! There is no skip or gap and I have really enjoyed knitting with them!

2 Likes

Completely agree! I’ve also never had them separate unexpectedly. So that’s another win. :smiley:

I was gifted with a set of Takumi combos by Clover. They are bamboo and I just love them to bits! They are just pointy and non stick enough for all my needs. What is coolest is that you can buy other tips and cords separately at Michael’s or Joann craft stores and make endless combinations.

2 Likes

What do people think of Knitter’s Pride? And would ChiaGoos Lace needles be the best choice as I tend toward knitting in DK and Worsted weights?

I like Knitters Pride fixed circulars. I have not tried the interchangeables.

I also have the Takumi and like them a lot.

1 Like

I have an interchangeable Knitpicks bamboo set and agree about the finish wearing off on the points. I would like to buy a Knitpicks lace set which is currently on sale, which includes the thinner needles like 1, 2, 3, etc. which I don’t have but it is nickel plated. I love my bamboo set and am wondering about the yarn slipping off the metal. Any advice on this?

My tension has loosened and I find my stitches now fly off of metal needles!
Some companies don’t make the smaller sizes in bamboo or wood. Chiaogoo has tips in US2, 2.5 and 3, but the cables are not compatible with Knitpicks.

1 Like