Storing needles...

I know I’m really late to this, but I use two different methods–I use a vase (from Quince and Co) to store my straight needles and I keep it by my knitting spot. I do have a case for them that I can put them in if I’m traveling. For my circs, I have interchangeable needles, and I use an interchangeable needle case from Knitpicks–it has zip pockets which are really helpful for corralling all the cables! (The case I have they don’t seem to sell anymore…but I think these are the same type of thing.)

2 Likes

Years ago I remember seeing cases with ziplock bags for circulars, but haven’t seen them in a long while. I don’t use interchangeable needles, mostly because I have so many circulars in every imaginable length that I don’t seem to need them. That’s why I keep my circulars in separate ziplock bags. Whenever I travel, I usually just bring the bag for the size I need. I also do a lot of color work, especially Norwegian style sweaters, so I frequently need 16” length and interchangeables just dont work well. Since my first post, I bought a double point needles roll made by dellaQ from The Websters to finally organize my double point collection. It works fine for almost everything, except for the few pair of 12” double points.

3 Likes

OK, I like the ziplock ideas too! I might have to do that as I get more needles. I chose interchangeable for my first set without really knowing what circs were about, and I do like them–I’m really picky about my needles and see to only be able to knit with wood (NOT bamboo!), and a lot of the non interchangeables I see are metal or bamboo. So I use knitpicks interchangeables.
I only have one pair of DPNs right now, and I keep them in my tool case with my gauge ruler and scissors and my few crochet hooks.

2 Likes

There is a company called Stasher that makes reusable ziploc style bags as well. Not as cheap but longer lasting.

2 Likes

Although I guess sturdier locking bags are a great idea, I’ve had the plain ordinary ones for years and the only problem has been my cat, who likes to chew on them when I’m not looking. As a result, my 4mm bag has teeth marks, which may be unsightly but otherwise doesn’t present a problem.

5 Likes