Technique No. 8: Garter Stitch Short Rows!

Hi! This is where we are going to talk about the ins and outs of Woolly Wormhead’s clever Ruschia hat pattern, with its short rows and slipped stitches. German short rows, here we come! And also just regular wrap & turn short rows!

One skein. A few hours. A new skill. I’m in.

3 Likes

I’m joining you! I’ve already knit my Ruschia Hat (had to have it for the videos!), so I’m going for another Woolly Wormhead pattern: Parallelo which also uses short rows, provisional cast on and grafting. This one is in DK yarn so I’m going to use up some Vivacious DK leftovers from my Little Tern. Bonus points for me, as I get to practise my intarsia as well. :smiley:

Woolly Wormhead has a HEAP of fabulous patterns for sideways hats that use short-row shaping. :heart_eyes:

I look forward to seeing how you get on. I found the panels really addictive when I made mine… I’ll just finish this one before bed!

I’m in and on my way! This is the first of 9 repeats. So much fun!

ETA - I’m using the German Short Row technique.

4 Likes

Looking fabulous there m’dear! :slight_smile:

1 Like

KRAYZEE! I had no idea how this thing was going to be constructed. Can’t wait to get my Ruschia going.

2 Likes

I was going to wait until I come to Nashville next week and get my paws on a skein of Scrumptious Aran, but I’m not sure I can hold out. [tosses so-called minimalist stash forlornly in search of a hank of Aran weight]

2 Likes

Haley loves the new hat.

5 Likes

Had to knit an Emergency Hat while I was at EYF as I hadn’t brought one. This is my effort in Scrumptious Teal colourway. Very cosy! It may be a hat Christmas in my house as I could knit several more of these just for the sheer fun of it.

3 Likes