Temperature Project Sharing and Caring

Thank you Kay for setting up this challenge to finish the Temperature Blanket. I’m about 3 weeks behind right now…but I’m up for the challenge. Let’s do this!

Robin

12 Likes

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to find low and high temperatures for 2022. I am late to the temperature blanket game, but I wanted to jump in and I have the 22 pack of yarn to do it. (My October birthday gift to myself). I have been trying to find the information, but it seems to be a struggle.

3 Likes

I’m using timeanddate.org for mine but I’m only using the average. They include all three.

I use both sites since it’s easier to find the information on the second one if you miss a day or two. Time and Date is complicated when you need to go back beyond one day.

You can also use Weather History Visualization for Crochet and Knitting Projects | Temperature Blanket

[

Weather History Visualization for Crochet and Knitting Projects | Temper…

Weather Data + Art! Visualize your city’s historical climate data, create color gauges, and preview your pattern…

](Weather History Visualization for Crochet and Knitting Projects | Temperature Blanket)

Susan K Schutz
Happy member of the Susan Sisterhood

Michigan
Ravelry ID: MiYarnStalker
Flickr

2 Likes

I’ve used Weather History & Data Archive | Weather Underground
Enter your zip code then go to the calendar tab for a monthly overview of high/low temps and overall sky conditions.
You can also enter a particular day, which is helpful if, like me, your reading is for a particular time of each day.
Welcome, and belated birthday wishes (from one October to another)!!

3 Likes

Welcome to the Party!! I’m so glad you’re here. I’ve been using Weather Underground like Nell. You can also go to www.weather.com for daily readings. You can get history there as well but it takes you to Weather Underground for that so really, why bother.

The only downside of Weather Underground is that you have to do it one month at a time. (If I’m wrong about that and am just not finding it on the site, please feel free to jump in and save me from myself!)

I’ve also used the NOAA Temperatue Data app here. It’s a bit wonkier looking than the other sites but you can get the whole year in one fell swoop. DM me if you want me to walk you through it. NOAA is also great if you are looking for really historic data. None of the others had the years my parents were born but NOAA has got it going way back.

I’ve also got a spreadsheet that some folks have found really helpful in setting up their charts. Email me at kjt1211@gmail.com and I’ll send it along. (Spoiler alert: I am updating the spreadsheet to make it a lot more user friendly for 2023.)

3 Likes

This is my temperature blanket. It’s a little different from the suggested blanket in that it is a recording of the high temperatures on our travels this year rather than every day of the year. I did 300 stitches per row and am doing 2 garter ridges (4 rows) per day. We have been on the road camping about 75 days this year and have about 15 days to go. There have been a lot of cumin days (low 70s - which for travel is pretty ideal), only 1 day in heliotrope (high 30s), 1 barbara (low 40s), 1 ciel (high 40s), and one lime (high 50s) which I find surprising. I have loved doing this blanket! I’m not sure that it qualifies for the competition since I’m not doing it every day, but thought I would share anyway. :slight_smile: I will post the final blanket after our last trip of the year which ends on December 10.

13 Likes

I’ve been able to complete the rest of July and all of August since Kay gave us that nudge.

11 Likes

I’m intrigued by the idea of doing a blanket with moon phases for 2023 - any ideas to share?

2 Likes

@jangrimmer !

1 Like

I was just about to type that!

1 Like

I am definitely not team early bird :rofl: plugging away. DK was definitely the right choice for heat but a lot of stitches per row.

2 Likes

Dear Nell,

I wasn’t going to post my color card because it’s incomplete and somewhat shameful. I thought about finishing it up and making it pretty but that felt really dishonest so here you have it. As is and in the wooden bucket with all the working colors where it lives.

I may not have all my pretty little swatches on it but it serves me well when I can’t tell Astor and Amethyst apart if they’re not right next to each other.

Love,

Karen

P.S. My spreadsheet is exquisite.

P.P.S. A whole bunch of colors have gone back into the box for a while. Pine, Celadon, Lotus Leaf, and Delft are on a break for a while and The Spice Girls (Cumin, Cinnamon, and Ginger) have entered the bucket. Delft, I feel like we had a real connection you and I but alas, you’re back to the box. I’m sorry. I do love you. But it’s out of my control.

P.P.S. Tell me what you want, what you really really want! Sorry but I can’t stop. It’s stuck in my head.

5 Likes

Mine has gone through a few temp mods and is quite beat up, but still working from the original!

4 Likes

Are you going to duplicate stitch the year on the extra squares?

4 Likes

NOW I am! What a great idea. That had not occurred to me, but I love it.

2 Likes

:laughing: That’s too funny!

I haven’t shared mine yet, either. It’s more like a piece of paper with glued pieces of yarn on it. I’ll share it later after I take a photo. It does appear that I stopped adding my pieces of yarn sometime during the summer and there are a lot of colors that never needed to join in since we never reached those highs and lows.

Susan K Schutz

3 Likes

Current status is mid-May. Entering into many repeating garter ridges of the same “hot” colors of Zinnia, Rage, and Barbara, which is helping me catch up to “present day”. Also helping is car knitting! Cup holders keep the yarn ready and steady. Projecting I will be there by the end of November. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Oh my gosh, this is just gorgeous. Please post the finished product!

3 Likes

This is mine as of September 30th. Now, I need to crochet the dividing line and head on into October. Right now, I’m taking a break for a couple other projects then tomorrow, back to the blanket. I’m on Jury Duty alert for the week which means I need to call every night after 5 p.m. It’s a two-week assignment and I made it through week one. It could be a close one.

That’s my chart. The colors that are missing yarn pieces are colors for temperature ranges that we didn’t hit. I have the yarns in my bin. Hopefully, we don’t hit them except for maybe one day.

Susan K Schutz

7 Likes