Temperature Project Sharing and Caring

Just uploading now to the gallery!

1 Like

A question: For those of you who have already completed a blanket, what are your thoughts about the number of colors that you used? Would you use the same number again? More colors or fewer? I’ve been following this all of 2022 and bought some yarn and then became overwhelmed and have just been loving all of your inspiration! I really want to do this for 2023 though. II decided for simplicity to just use 10-11 colors, breaking the temps down by decades–so the 90s red, the 80s orange, the 70s yellow, etc. However, I’ve seen someone’s comment about their finished blanket that they wish they’d used more colors to distinguish the days better. I can’t imagine breaking it down any more than 5 degrees but I know some folks have. Am very interested in your opinions! Thank you!

3 Likes

I also think you need to look at the temperature history where you are. 5 degrees could be perfect for you and not perfect for someone else. Either way the most important thing is that it works for you or you will never do it!

4 Likes

I have 22 colors on my chart but, after doing this twice now, there’s always those temps at the low and high end that never get used. I have them in my chart, but, until I need them I don’t actually buy them.

My temps are in 5° ranges. Since I’m in Michigan my lowest temp range is actually a 10° range. I didn’t have to pull the label off that ball until one day in the week before Christmas. I almost made it through 2022 without a - temp day.

Susan K Schutz
Happy member of the Susan Sisterhood

Michigan
Ravelry ID: MiYarnStalker
Flickr

“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.”
Harvey Fierstein

2 Likes

So exciting!

Susan K Schutz
Happy member of the Susan Sisterhood

Michigan
Ravelry ID: MiYarnStalker
Flickr

“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.”
Harvey Fierstein

1 Like

Oh you are lovely. Yes indeed, I do have a new spreadsheet. Drop me an email at kjt1211@gmail.com and I will send it along to you.

1 Like

It’s really a matter of the full temperature range for your area and what you would like your blanket to look like. Can you share more info on where you live? If you DM me your zip code I’ll take a look and see if I can help.

3 Likes

Sent a message. Thank you!

Well lucky for you I had a smidge of free time so I did a little bit of work to help get you started. I grabbed the data for 2022 for and applied it to a five-temp range chart. Then I got the number of days in each color and then assigned a color to each range. I used ROYGBIV to pick the colors. The temp chart looks like this.
And it makes a blanket that looks something like this.

Obviously I was pretty fast and dirty picking the colors and had to use what was available on Excel but I think it gives you an idea of what it would look like. If you look realllllly close to the picture, you’ll see some lines have tiny little black letters on them. That’s Scarlet.

I didn’t include all the little nuances of the steps to get here but if anyone else wants a step-by-step, I’ll go ahead and write it up.

4 Likes

WOW! This is amazing! You were very thoughtful about this. The pinks being prominent are better for me than tons of orange so that’s most helpful. I hadn’t thought outside the box like that. I was very focused on ROYGBIV with red and orange being the top colors which was going to be a whole lot of red and orange, since we live in the South. Some brilliant pinks make me happier, and this definitely gives me a new perspective. Thank you for so kindly taking time to assist! The knitting community is the best! Now I have to decide stripes or squares. . .

3 Likes

All 12 months are now joined. Still want to redo a couple wonky moons. I have a 2 inch border done on one side — so three more sides to go. I had been waiting on Ultramarine — that cold snap in December got me. Better photos to come — I was just so excited to have it this far.
May I just add that y’all are the most supportive and encouraging group I know of. So glad I found MDK.

24 Likes

I really like this - I think I will have to do this for my next blanket. The phases of the moon are stunning! Thank you so much for sharing.

3 Likes

Stunningly beautiful!!!

1 Like

I think the work you put into the planning is just as stunning as the blanket!

3 Likes

It’s really easy to knit the ends in as you go. That easy you don’t get discouraged by all the extra work at the end

3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

@jangrimmer this is truly an epic work of art!

2 Likes

Hi all, I finished my 2022 Retirement Celebration Temperature Blanket. Wove in the last end 12/31 just before midnight. Posted on Instagram but not here. I blame the viral crud fog. 29 colors DK. We had quite a temperature range in central Maine ,:blush::sunglasses::wind_face:

17 Likes

Just back from a Jan 2-10 retreat. Finished on Dec 28, basing the last 2 days on forecasts and they were WRONG! So I must tink. But here’s the photo, cowl style. I think I will not join the scarf ends after all. Planning 2023!!

16 Likes

Ready for a LOT of end weaving,
and then it’s a wrap, 25" wide, 12’ long.
Fun with panorama!

13 Likes