The official Field Guide 21: Brioche Knitalong

I’ve finally caught on and I’ve also been able to fix some mistakes without frogging back! Thanks to everyone for support and suggestions! I think my mind is starting to clear😊

4 Likes

Dear Knitters,

I am always making a made dash to decide what to knit in the car. No matter what, and especially when it’s 90+ degrees out.

Last weekend I spent 20 hours in the car, mostly riding. I knocked out a cowl in Cascade superwash merino (because I had it, and the girlfriends like (“Westpoint” blue, so I won’t tell the newly minted Air Force 2nd Lt. the name of the color, and yes, I know regular wool would be preferable).

I do have a mistake or two where I missed a wrap. Is it possible to go in after the fact and fix those elongated stitches with a late wrap?

The today, almost a week later, and figured out I skipped all the purls and basically made a stockinette brioche cowl.

FACEPLANT. I am embarrassed!

Oh well. It is still squishy and wearable.

I guess I have to knit another one.

Cheers,
Julia

10 Likes

It’s gorgeous! Now you have an excuse to buy more yarn, so you can knit another one. :blush:

1 Like

I too had trouble getting the hang of it at first. It took me a while to figure out that I wasn’t paying close enough attention to the yarn placement at the end/beginning of the rows (mostly I wasn’t doing the yarn over at the end of Round 1A).

Also, I finally started using a lifeline after set-up round 2A. It helped my sanity. I was tired of having to start all over with the long tail cast on.

I hope this helps. Hang in there. It will click eventually. :blush:

It looks terrific and that’s just a variation of a stitch, right??

2 Likes

Finally, finally I think I may just possibly be getting this - finally!!! Have started over many, many times since June 20. Glad to see I’m not the only who found this challenging. Having the MDK video to consult was very helpful.

7 Likes

Here’s my little brioche mantra: Brioche knit, wrap, slip; brioche knit, wrap, slip. Slip, wrap, brioche purl; slip, wrap, brioche purl.” Probably not using ‘wrap’ terminology correctly - but it’s helping me!

6 Likes

After some false starts, the knitting groove has arrived with this cushiest cowl. Atlas yarn is very nice to work with.

8 Likes

Second attempt using stash yarn. Switched to size 5 needles as first try looked floppy and had a few mistakes. Video instruction was really helpful. Hard to keep going when it doesn’t look like anything after first few rows but it clicks when the pattern starts emerging.

9 Likes

I decided to do some colorblocking:

15 Likes

It’s beautiful and you can always knit another one!

1 Like

Loving this Atlas yarn! Almost done with my first skeins and loving how it is turning out. Can’t wait to block it when I’m done to see how it turns out.

6 Likes

Me too! I have read the blog for ages. Brioche has been on my list of techniques to learn for years. Kismet is a wonderful thing!

4 Likes

Here is my first attempt at brioche, a technique that has been on my list for many years:

I love how the two variegated colors play off each other.

8 Likes

Looks great!

Really pretty combo

Ready to bind off…or rip out!?!?!
The good news, fellow knitters, is that I did get the hang of brioche, and even fixed 3 columns of BRK, BRP, BRK from about 4 rows down. Huzzah!!
The bad news? When I frogged and re-started a week ago, I must report that I grabbed US8 needles instead of US6. I was so busy learning that I didn’t comprehend that my fabric’s floppy feel wasn’t due to the SuperWash stash I was using, instead of SuperAtlas. The floppy-not-squishy feel was me making a horrible mistake!
And before you mention gauge and measuring tapes, please know that most of my yarn and tools are on a pod winging its way from Nebraska to NEw Hampshire, while I journey more slowly with a yarn basket crammed with bits and bobs, living as a nomad for 3 weeks, and wondering why MDK couldn’t have employed a carrier pigeon to drop me off some off that gorgeous Atlas y’all are knitting your gorgeous, wearable cowls with. Why should a No Current Address defeat those indefeatable and indefatigable folks on Atlas Drive?
P.S. Tried it on, and floppy cowls are just not my thing. Gonna frog! Upside? This yarn will make a beautiful something else one day. Maybe a honeycomb scarf?

12 Likes

I am about 6" in. I do have a few errors, a few fixes and a few wonky stitches but overall, I think I have the hang of it. This will be SOOOO warm this winter.

9 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

I love this! The colors and yarn, no halo at all, are perfect.

1 Like